Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

how to remove jammed cartridges from chamber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2007, 01:16 PM
Silver Member

Re: how to remove jammed cartridges from chamber?

Jim,
You are absolutely correct. I wish that more shooters realized that the occasional MINIMAL benefit of neck sizing is almost unmeasurable with a non-benchrest rifle.

Few shooters seem to understand that when you limit the travel of a FL resizing die, that lets the "pressure ring" expand. Compressing this part of your case is what requires real force from your press. I guess the reason that it's not widely known is that these problems aren't noticed until after a few reloadings.

- Innovative
Old 01-28-2007, 04:40 PM
Gold Member

I must be doing something wrong... I neck size for many (and I DO MEAN many) rifles. I FL size only when moving brass to another rifle. I have cases that have been neck sized over 20 times... enough that they had to be annealed several times.

But no swelling at the base in front of the web. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

What am I doing wrong [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

LRH member #23
Old 01-28-2007, 05:05 PM
Silver Member

Not saying you or anyone is doing anything wrong--just that with some die/brass/rifle chamber/pressure combinations the diamater of cases can grow to the point that chambering can be difficult.

As usual, your mileage may vary.

Not that I have experience in this area, but I understand that folks who use handloads for hunting game that can be dangerous always run the loaded rounds through the action before the hunt begins. In fact, there was a time (may still be) when it was illegal (death penalty, I think) to use handloads in some African countries.

Jim
Old 01-28-2007, 05:15 PM
Chawlston

[ QUOTE ]
I must be doing something wrong... I neck size for many (and I DO MEAN many) rifles. I FL size only when moving brass to another rifle. I have cases that have been neck sized over 20 times... enough that they had to be annealed several times.

But no swelling at the base in front of the web. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably nothing. It is very difficult to "troubleshoot" someones problems with reloading, because we all approach it a little differently. For instance, I never neck size. I always partial FL size and bump the shoulder. This has never failed me and I do it in matches as well as hunting rounds. I want just a little resistance when I chamber the rounds. Nothing wrong, or right, just different.

If these guys are using the exact same reloads on both guns and they are the same brand of gun since they were swapping bolts around, I would imagine that they have either got the bolts mixed up or that they have some long cases. Based on the story of how difficult it is to just chamber a round, I think it is way beyond a tight cartridge base.

James
Old 01-28-2007, 07:10 PM
Silver Member

James,
When you neck size a case and you bump the shoulder back, the "pressure ring" above the web is not getting resized. If you can "feel" your case as it is chambered, you're feeling the pressure ring being press fitted into your chamber. This does nothing to help accuracy, or reliable chambering, or case extraction.

The pressure ring eventually becomes the thinnest part of your case, and it's the most likely area for a case separation. You are much more likely to have minimal case stretching with super tight fitting handloads. However, you don't have to go that far. Reliability is a good thing. You may not have experienced these problems being described, but badly resized handloads cause more "fail to chamber" problems than anything, and it makes little or no difference if they're in a different rifle or the same one.

- Innovative
Old 01-28-2007, 08:28 PM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably nothing. It is very difficult to "troubleshoot" someones problems with reloading, because we all approach it a little differently. For instance, I never neck size. I always partial FL size and bump the shoulder. This has never failed me and I do it in matches as well as hunting rounds. I want just a little resistance when I chamber the rounds. Nothing wrong, or right, just different.

If these guys are using the exact same reloads on both guns and they are the same brand of gun since they were swapping bolts around, I would imagine that they have either got the bolts mixed up or that they have some long cases. Based on the story of how difficult it is to just chamber a round, I think it is way beyond a tight cartridge base.

James

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi,

OK I just remove the ammo from my barrell
I was going to the GunShop in my town (Wholesalesports), and there are some great guys.
One of him was removing the stuck ammo from my rifle, using the cleaning road, and tapping slowlly with a hammer.
The round it was comming out, and we all could see the problem.
"growth" in diameter of the case body just ahead of the web area.
The guy told me to check also the cases after Neck Resizing, because at some round I can get a defformed area close to he web (specially after 3-4 reloading at the same round with a maximum/hot load)
We could see with the free eyes, without using a caliper the deforming area...

Woow I was so lucky.
FOR NOW I WILL DOUBLE CHECK THE CASE DIMMENSION BEFORE AND SPECIALLY AFTER RESIZING.

About changing the bolts between this to rifle...
we have the same rifles 300 rem ultra mags, and WE NEWER INTERCHANGE BOLTS BETWEEN THIS RIFLE.
JUST YESTERDAY, WHEN MY LIVE AMMO IT WAS STUCK, I was thinking if I will use his bolt (because of the bigger extractring clow) I can catch the bras and will be more easelly to remove.
WRONG. The problem it was the case deforming after NR.

Thank you for all your support.
Cris
Old 01-28-2007, 08:50 PM
Chawlston

[ QUOTE ]
James,
When you neck size a case and you bump the shoulder back, the "pressure ring" above the web is not getting resized. If you can "feel" your case as it is chambered, you're feeling the pressure ring being press fitted into your chamber. This does nothing to help accuracy, or reliable chambering, or case extraction.

The pressure ring eventually becomes the thinnest part of your case, and it's the most likely area for a case separation. You are much more likely to have minimal case stretching with super tight fitting handloads. However, you don't have to go that far. Reliability is a good thing. You may not have experienced these problems being described, but badly resized handloads cause more "fail to chamber" problems than anything, and it makes little or no difference if they're in a different rifle or the same one.

- Innovative

[/ QUOTE ]

You are incorrect sir. The resistance I feel is the shoulder being slightly compressed. I have used indicating fluid on the cases to verify where they are contacting the chamer the tightest and it is in the shoulder area. They barely make contact on the area of the case web. Also realize I only have one factory chamber out of over thirty chambers. The process I have described to you prevents over-sizing and working the brass which leads to premature case/head seperation. Get a copy of PO Ackleys' books and discover some interesting techniques.

Ammuntion is the most accurate when it fits the chamber snugly. Go visit some precision shooting matches and see how they do it. Remember these guys need the most in accuracy and realiability. You will not find people completely full-length sizing their brass. They will be using dies called "bump dies" which are designed to just touch the shoulder and not size it down to where the brass is over-worked.

Heck I have 20 cases that have been loaded over fifty times using this procedure and they still shoot under .2" at 100 yards. If you take care and properly size your cases, you can wear out a barrel with just a few cases.

James