Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

how to remove jammed cartridges from chamber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2007, 12:32 PM
Silver Member

how to remove jammed cartridges from chamber?

My shooting buddy has been only neck sizing his cases. He recently loaded one into his rifle but could not close the bolt. Now he can't get the cartridge out. I would appreciate all the recommendations any of you will share on getting it out. Thanks.
Paul
Old 01-27-2007, 12:35 PM
Platinum Member

Re: how to remove jammed cartridges from chamber?

Have you tried pushing it out from the muzzle using the cleaning rod?

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 01-27-2007, 12:42 PM
Gold Member

Hope hes been lubing his bolt lugs.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:53 PM
Platinum Member

I managed to get some peculiar brass that was really goofy and had that problem.

Here is what I do.

Remove the bolt

Take some liquid wrench and pour it down the barrel.

Take a coated cleaning rod with a female tip SO IT CATCHES THE END OF THE BULLET. DO NOT LET IT SLIP TO THE SIDE. IT MUST CATCH THE BULLET TIP.

Push the bullet into the case with the cleaning rod so the liquid wrench can get into the powder and make it less sensitive to sparking in case you goof up.

Let this sit until you feel lucky.

Put the cleaning rod back down the barrel and try very hard not to screw up your crown nor to ignite the round.

Try to lightly tap the round on out. Apply more and more force as necessary. Remember your crown is at stake here. In the end you may need a hammer.

Before you try my method wait and see if some one can tell you how to do it without risking the crown.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:14 PM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
My shooting buddy has been only neck sizing his cases. He recently loaded one into his rifle but could not close the bolt. Now he can't get the cartridge out. I would appreciate all the recommendations any of you will share on getting it out. Thanks. Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

How far is the bolt "not closed". If the handle is up, or if you can remove the bold, it is easy. Just tap the round out from the muzzle with a cleaning rod and a light hammer.

If, by "not close the bolt", you mean it is almost fully closed, but not all the way, then take a lite piece of wood (2x4) and lightly tap the bolt handle up until the handle up... even if you can't withdraw the cartridge. Then use a rod and tap the round out.

If the bolt is closed, or almost closed, and you can't get the bolt handle up, then take it to a 'smith, cuz it is very dangerous in this condition.

LRH member #23
Old 01-27-2007, 03:31 PM
Gold Member

Don't fool with it, take it to a smith. He will force the bolt or remove the barrel and tell you what happened.
db
Old 01-27-2007, 06:51 PM
Platinum Member

Hell, just do what buffalobob said maybe even skipping the liquid wrench and if you have a muzzle brake and are careful when inserting the cleaning rod from the muzzle there isn't too much to worry about regarding the crown. If no brake then careful is the work.

I have felt lucky and have done this many times and have yet to have the bullet move in the case neck.

However, all mine stick because of increased case diameter just ahead of the web.

Also my "female" end is brass which helps w/the sparking problem.

No warranties are implied or expressed. No liability is assumed in regard to this post. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]