Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

How to reduce bullet runout?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2008, 02:19 PM
Bronze Member

Re: How to reduce bullet runout?

"just order the Wilson seating die and an arbor press (forget about using a conventional press)."

What is the difference between an Arbor and a conventional press and what makes one better than the other?
P
Old 10-27-2008, 05:44 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoeper View Post
I loaded up some 6mm berger 88gr high bc's for the 243 today and made a tool to measure bullet runout. I was amazed to find that i'm getting up to 12 thou runout near the tip.
Were these loaded on the defective press you have previously commented on?
Old 10-27-2008, 06:17 PM
Gold Member

Arbor press, Wilson dies:

Sizing:

Bullet seating:

I use the arbor press (mine is a Hart) and Wilson BR type dies to load my .308, .25-06 and .204 Ruger ammo. It's an interesting way to load, and produces extremely accurate ammo.

Regards, Guy
Old 10-27-2008, 06:40 PM
Platinum Member

BR reloading methods are great. For BR rifles. Usually, costing from $2K up. Such methods and tools have little or no value for factory rifles tho. And, for Zoepers request to help him achieve MOA or better, that's a bit of over kill.

An arbor press is a simple divise having a short overhead ram that pushes the case and dies together without use of a shell holder to withdraw it. The press is not threaded so there is no point in threading the dies. These tools avoid any potential misalignment between the dies and press that may be found in a conventional setup.

As one poster said, the dies are best if cut with the same reamers that cut the chamber. The dies usually get cut with the "roughing" reamer which is slightly smaller than the "finishing" reamer used on the rifle itself.

Using all the BR methods and devices may cut 1/8" of an inch off a good rifle's groups with well made ammo. That's lot in BR competition but it doesn't mean much to many hunters, it only changes the radius of error by 1/16" MOA! Using good sizing and seating methods with more conventional dies and presses seems more reasonable for most of us and is much more in keeping with Zoeper's goal of obtaining MOA with his .243 without breaking the bank.

Last edited by boomtube; 10-27-2008 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:04 PM
Gold Member

Agree - and he asked, so I showed him my Arbor press setup. It did make a difference in the quality of my .308 long range loads.

I still load most of my hunting ammo with my good ol' RCBS Rockchucker and RCBS dies. Do like the "New Dimension" Hornady dies for my .300 WSM though!
Old 10-27-2008, 08:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtube View Post
BR reloading methods are great. For BR rifles. Usually, costing from $2K up. Such methods and tools have little or no value for factory rifles tho. And, for Zoepers request to help him achieve MOA or better, that's a bit of over kill.

An arbor press is a simple divise having a short overhead ram that pushes the case and dies together without use of a shell holder to withdraw it. The press is not threaded so there is no point in threading the dies. These tools avoid any potential misalignment between the dies and press that may be found in a conventional setup.

As one poster said, the dies are best if cut with the same reamers that cut the chamber. The dies usually get cut with the "roughing" reamer which is slightly smaller than the "finishing" reamer used on the rifle itself.

Using all the BR methods and devices may cut 1/8" of an inch off a good rifle's groups with well made ammo. That's lot in BR competition but it doesn't mean much to many hunters, it only changes the radius of error by 1/16" MOA! Using good sizing and seating methods with more conventional dies and presses seems more reasonable for most of us and is much more in keeping with Zoeper's goal of obtaining MOA with his .243 without breaking the bank.

Please provide the backup data that supports your analysis as I am curious how you quantified your conclusions. I hear this all of the time and in the end it is usually based on assumptions and "something somebody heard from someone else" not actual testing and fact finding by the poster.

The poster asked a question about a specific subject and deserves an informative answer based on actual hands on knowledge of the subject imho.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member

Boss Hoss - "Please provide the backup data that supports your analysis as I am curious how you quantified your conclusions. I hear this all of the time and in the end it is usually based on assumptions and "something somebody heard from someone" else not actual testing and fact finding by the poster."

There are several statements in my post and I have no idea what statements or conclusions your question is related to.
Do you have any actual test data, or even assumptions, contridicting one or more of my statements? If so, don't just ask an open ended question, please tell me/us specifically what you find absent, misleading or wrong in my post.
---------------------------------------------------------

Guy M - "Agree - and he asked, so I showed him my Arbor press setup. It did make a difference in the quality of my .308 long range loads."

No contest. I worded it poorly but not meant as a negative reflection on your post at all, just wanted the OP to understand where your neat BR setup fits into the big picture and even to expand a little on the excellant photos.

How much difference did your BR gear make in your LR accuracy, and was it fired from a common factory rifle?

Last edited by boomtube; 10-27-2008 at 09:15 PM.