Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

How ofter do u uniform primer pockets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Silver Member

How ofter do u uniform primer pockets.

I uniform my primer pockets ,after every shot but i just had a couple of 338 edge rounds not fire. Primers had been struck by firing pin but did not fire. Cci 250 were the primers , what do u think my cultript is the primers or the brass.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Platinum Member

Re: How ofter do u uniform primer pockets.

I never have and never had a problem. I uniform flash hole first time and that is it. I dump primers in self feed tray and hand prime, without touching them. If you get case lube or such you can have a problem. If you like alot of lube on bolt you can create a sticky firing pin. You can have a wrong aplication trigger set in action and not get complete fire pin travel, broken pin. Once I got a small piece of puntured primer wedged between pin and fire pin hole in bolt.Can have a improper headspace and get a weak hit?
Old 02-01-2012, 05:27 PM
Platinum Member

My answer to the questions is......Never.....

Never have done it at any time.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyatnop View Post
I uniform my primer pockets ,after every shot but i just had a couple of 338 edge rounds not fire. Primers had been struck by firing pin but did not fire. Cci 250 were the primers , what do u think my cultript is the primers or the brass.
Just a few thoughts and questions. The DEPTH of your uniform should be .122. If it is much more than that, you could be getting a lite strike. I typically use the uniformed to CLEAN the pocket, after each firing. Some time it just takes out the carbon, and sometimes it takes out a little brass as well. I believe that it takes out brass due to pressure pushing back the web a little. Check a piece of brass with a new primer installed. It should be just a little below flush. Just enough to catch your finger nail. If you are still getting a no fire situation, you may have a headspace issue, or a firing pin issue. If in doubt, have a smith check it and make sure you give him some brass that will not fire. Hope this helps. 7STW
Old 02-02-2012, 07:47 AM
Platinum Member

I do it once, along with deburring the flash holes.
Use Sinclair primer pocket uniformer, which will only cut to a certain depth. Never have had a problem.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue View Post
Use Sinclair primer pocket uniformer, which will only cut to a certain depth. Never have had a problem.
Excellent choice. its a good cutter, and you cant mess it up. I use mine to clean primer pocked ant trim any brass that has been pushed back.

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 02-02-2012, 09:14 AM
Platinum Member

I use a RCBS case prep station and their primer pocket uniformer that will cut each one to a given depth, and no deeper. I do the flash holes on both sides once when new, and I do the primer pockets every firing. After the initial first cut basically each firing is just cleaning out spent powder residue. I have 338 LM cases that have been done 14 times with no problems.

If you had misfires with dented primers I would look to see if you maybe didn't get them seated fully. This can result in the primer moving forward under the strike and not going off.

Jeff