Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

How Much Runout Is Expected On New Unfired Brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2008, 05:01 PM
Platinum Member

Re: How Much Runout Is Expected On New Unfired Brass

"How much do you normally expect from new brass. "

Well, I don't normally have an expectation, I just take what I get.

It takes a firing, some careful reloading methods and excellant dies to get run out down to a couple thou or less on the second try.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post
that is the kind of answer I am looking for in order to give feedback to Dakota.
You solicit 'supporting opinion' merely to publicly paint a vendor with mud..

However, most experienced reloaders here know that new brass will take to the chamber on fireforming. That initial runout of NEW brass means nothing..
Most here know that new brass will gain a few grains of H2O cap, and change in headspace on fireforming. So they know to load develop with brass thats settled, rather than chasing their tails.
And I'm sure the vendor runs into your type daily. They'll sing you a song and go on about Getin-R-Done.

Sad thread
Old 10-08-2008, 07:34 PM
PUBLISHER

Mike, I am sorry the tone of my reply with you was impatient. Impatience is my flaw as my wife can well attest. :( I am trying to work on that. But meanwhile I get impatient with her when she replies but doesn't actually answer my questions.

Quote:
most experienced reloaders here know that new brass will take to the chamber on fireforming.
Yes, I know that, too. But if normally good brass has only a couple thou of runout, my load workups are going to be just fine for my purposes (maybe not yours) while fireforming.

And I wasn't starting this thread to bad mouth the manufacturer. I don't do that. And I didn't need to mention the name so I have edited it out of the original post. I was doing it to gather data to make my discussion with them informed and fair on my part. But thanks for your help.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors

Last edited by Len Backus; 10-08-2008 at 07:42 PM.