Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

How much of the neck to size?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2006, 05:26 PM
Platinum Member

Re: How much of the neck to size?

[ QUOTE ]
3. Neck size 3/4 of the neck and leave the remaining 1/4 of the neck to center that portion of the neck in the chamber.

[/ QUOTE ]Do necks so sized center in the chamber neck because the back 1/4th of the neck is at exactly the same diameter as the chamber neck?
Old 05-03-2006, 05:31 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to tame chaos, you need to have Kirby make you a die with the same reamer that he used to make your chamber.

[/ QUOTE ]How does a case sizing die reduce any diameter of a fired case from a chamber cut with the same reamer as the sizing die?

Seems to me that because the inside diameters of the chamber and die are the same, there's no way such a die can make the fired case smaller at any point.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:24 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Bart B,

I think he may be referring to rechambering a Redding Comp Bushing neck sizing die with the chambering reamer.

You are correct though, this will not size any of the case body, just hold it perfectly concentric while the case neck is sized.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-03-2006, 10:09 PM
SPONSOR

Well this may be a little of the subject but me and the midget, I meand BJ, jsut got back from shooting this evening.

he damn near beat my record at 400yds of .850" in a 3 shot group. His first 2 shot was just a 30 cal hole and as he went to fling the 3rd shot i felt the wind kick up. He was shooting from my truck bed and couldnt feel the gust. this kicked his shot about 1" to the right.

We didnt measure it but the group would have been around 1.5" at 400yds, if i complained about that I would have to kick my own @$$!!!!!!!!!

Kirby I think you may need to build me something like this gun so I can protect my range records!!!!

Oh, by the way Kirby, the pistol shootin went a lot better [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

take it easy
steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 05-04-2006, 01:53 PM
Silver Member

For heavens sake, Bart

I think there is chaos in my head.

You are correct, Making a die with the same reamer that cut the chamber would do nothing. The die must be a smaller diameter to resize anything.

See ya,
Vic
Old 05-04-2006, 02:09 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Making a die with the same reamer that cut the chamber would do nothing. The die must be a smaller diameter to resize anything.

[/ QUOTE ]Note that Kirby mentioned making one, but as long as the chamber reamer went just far enough into a die blank from its bottom that touches the shell holder such that it's wall diameters would be a few thousandths of an inch smaller than a fired case, its taper would sure match the chamber's taper and be close enough to fired case body tapers to hold a fired case perfectly for neck/shoulder sizing.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:25 PM
Platinum Member

Bart, my guess would be if you only ran the reamer in far enough to size the cases down a few thousands diametrically,you'd be bumping the shoulder back a whole bunch more than most would want.

i like the forster full length with the neck opened to whatever you want.in my case, .003 less than the loaded round and position the die so it only bumps the shoulder 2-3 thousands.close but still loose in the chamber.one of the great ones once said for best accuracy they have to fit like a turd in a toilet bowl.or some kind a bowl!