Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

How many of you went back (scales)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2014, 04:42 PM
Platinum Member

Re: How many of you went back (scales)

RCBS Chargemaster all the way.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:57 PM
Platinum Member

I am still married to my beam scale. I'm sure the high-end digitals do a very good job. I will admit that I get a (tiny) smug smile when I read these threads and there are multiple posts that state "I check my e-scale against my beam scale, and it is always right on".

Never vice-versa.....

Broz, I like your bullet as a check weight idea for electrics ...
Old 04-19-2014, 09:24 AM
Platinum Member

Everyone luvs his digital scale gadgic, why not, at least it craps out. And it will. Then the luvers are SOL. Unless they have an ol' fashioned but dependable beam scale to fall back on. But, I just can't see what a digital scale is even supposed to bring into play. ??

Beam scales don't quit and their calibration doesn't drift with time, voltage and termperature. Like Model T's, they aren't fancy or flashy, they just keep going -- for decades. And the brand hardly seems to matter, they all work. (I do like reliability!)

(Now, let me note that digital dumpsters aren't the issue, they are much more than a scale. And I suppose their auto dump value depends a whole lot on the powder dispensing skills of the user.)
Old 04-20-2014, 12:10 AM
Platinum Member

I use the RCBS ChargeMaster, a Mettler Toledo AB104-S and a Omega 2 speed electronic trickler to weigh my powder charges. Would not could not in the rain, would not could not on a train, I do not like them, Sam I am.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
How many of you went back (scales)-phone-stuff-004.jpg   How many of you went back (scales)-phone-stuff-005.jpg  

Old 04-20-2014, 09:21 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtube View Post
I haven't gone back, I never left.
Same here, except I use my original Redding scale instead of the RCBS. I use a Lachmiller press too, BTW.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:19 PM
Silver Member

Love my RCBS 1010. Bought it used and it still works great. Got a digital scale and only use it for target pistol rds.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtube View Post
Everyone luvs his digital scale gadgic, why not, at least it craps out. And it will. Then the luvers are SOL. Unless they have an ol' fashioned but dependable beam scale to fall back on. But, I just can't see what a digital scale is even supposed to bring into play. ??

Beam scales don't quit and their calibration doesn't drift with time, voltage and termperature. Like Model T's, they aren't fancy or flashy, they just keep going -- for decades. And the brand hardly seems to matter, they all work. (I do like reliability!)

(Now, let me note that digital dumpsters aren't the issue, they are much more than a scale. And I suppose their auto dump value depends a whole lot on the powder dispensing skills of the user.)

I knew as soon as I read your first post that you've been around scales a long time and know your stuff when you mentioned bringing them to NBS requirements, as it changed to NIST well before I retired from my state job here in MI in 2002! I also have never used anything but my Ohaus 505.