Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

How many of you went back (scales)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2014, 11:49 AM
Platinum Member

Re: How many of you went back (scales)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewer View Post
Yes!! If you go electronic to measure to within 1 or 2/100ths of a grain, you don't buy it at Cabela's. If you care about precision, the ONLY scale you should be buying at Cabela's is a balance because nobody that makes reloading equipment really makes a good electronic scale that is repeatable. You have to get a good lab scale if you want that precision.

Having said that, you have to let your crony be your guide as to how much precision you really NEED.

I have a lab scale and I cut pieces of extruded powder (reloader 25 mostly) to get me within +/-.002 grains. You cant do that with a balance. And there are lots of guys that call that kind of accuracy hogwash. so...
Did you really mean +/- 0.002 grains? I imagine 2 thousandths (0.002) of a grain of RL25 must be an awfully tiny piece of RL25. Even 2 hundredths (0.02) of a grain of stick powder must be pretty darn tiny.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:01 PM
Gold Member

if I get to the point where I have to cut extruded powder into pieces to get a good load then I'm switching powders lol.

an armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians

know guns,know peace,know safety.no guns,no peace,no safety...

The second amendment is in place incase the politicians ignore the others

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

For those who trade liberty for security have neither Benjamin Franklin...
Old 05-11-2014, 10:30 AM
Bronze Member

though i have both lyman and rcbs analog balance beam scales and i should sell them all 'cause i'll never use them ever again. digital is best for me, hand's down. i use two - jennings mack 20 and gem pro 250, both are accurate +/- .02 grains. i also use an omega power trickler to make very accurate loads for all my calibers from .45acp to .30-06. it's all good and ymmv.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:04 PM
Platinum Member

I went from the redding balance beam to a gempro 250 with no complaints, except it drives me insane when the scale drifts .04 grains.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 05-11-2014, 01:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
I went from the redding balance beam to a gempro 250 with no complaints, except it drives me insane when the scale drifts .04 grains.
Jeeez, it's amazing you hit anything with that kind of inconsistency
Old 05-11-2014, 02:08 PM
Bronze Member

digital scales need to be used in the right environment, else there WILL be problems. they should be isolated from vibration, which means they need their own solid, no-move table that's separate from the press table, and they're all highly sensitive to air movement.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:17 PM
Bronze Member

I went back to the beam scale after my rcbs chargemaster scale took a dump and haven't broken down and bought a new one yet