Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

How many of you went back (scales)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2014, 08:24 PM
Silver Member

How many of you went back (scales)

I was just weighing some powder and had a heck of a time with my Dillion scale. Just would not keep Zero for some reason. It wasn't repeatable either. I put a new battery in it, used the power adaptor and calibrated it several times. When I put my powder pan on the scale to zero by the time I dumped the powder the scale had already changed. I gave up and went back to my ole beam scale. Really not sure it's any slower by the time I keep messin with the digital scale.
How many of you guys went back to the beam scale and put the digital on the shelf? I guess I could call Dillion and send it back but.........
Old 04-17-2014, 08:43 PM
Silver Member

Re: How many of you went back (scales)

had a lynman .... went back to my old ballance

Old 04-17-2014, 08:45 PM
Bronze Member

My opinion might not be what your looking for since I have never had an electric scale. But I can't say that, after using my RCBS 10-10, I will ever get one. I only reload for my rifles and I do it on a single stage press, so I don't think I would be at any real advantage with an electronic scale.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:50 PM
Platinum Member

I haven't gone back, I never left.

I used to make my living in the space program and fed my family by repairing/calibrating precision electonic test equipment to NBS standards, ain't no way I'd use a quirky digital scale on my loading bench except for weighing cases and bullets, NEVER my powder. Anyone saying a digital scale is 'faster' than a beam isn't using his beam scale properly.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:25 PM
Gold Member

Shoulda bought an RCBS 1500. Not all digitals are the same.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:34 PM
Gold Member

I have had/used a triple beam Ohaus beam scale for 40 years and have never regretted it once. Other than an occasional wipe down with an anti static dryer sheet and a very light lubrication on the pivot, I have never had one problem with it.
Many years ago I got a set of certified calibration test weights and every so often I check it - nuts on.
I have only had one hic-up with it. We built a new house a number of years ago and I put a ceiling fan in my reloading room. I have to turn the dang fan off when weighing charges as the beam senses the air movement.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:51 AM
Silver Member

I had (still have) a cheap Hornady electronic scale. Never use it anymore. I couldn't figure out why my loads started going all over the place so I switched back to the RCBS 5-0-5 and the loads went back to their old self.