Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

How many rounds can you shoot before accuracy fades?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2014, 05:05 AM
Gold Member

Re: How many rounds can you shoot before accuracy fades?

ive got a 22250 that will go 40 rounds without opening up if i take it slow. I also owned a weatherby vangruard 257wby that would open up after 5 shots.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:57 AM
Platinum Member

To many variables left out.

If you are asking so you can find out what is "normal" and learn great. What your rifle does in the intended use is what is important.

As I Understand It: Benchrest group shooters need to do there 5 sometimes as fast as they can load and shoot so for them 5 is the only important number.

If I leave at least 1 minute between some of mine can go high double digits, others with large powder volumes and thin barrels can go 3. Since those are hunting rifles it doesn't matter.

If I leave 2 minutes or more, the target rifles can to all day regardless of caliber.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:06 PM

The 375 jdj will primarily be used for hunting but, I will take it out from time to time and pop a few rounds. I normally reload meat bangers a grain or two under pressure signs from the initial pressure string tests. I settle for 2" or 3" groups at 100 yds. But this time around my observation with the 48.0 and 48.5 charge weights stacked on top of each other. Then opted to load some 48.0 to see how they would preform. The first 4 rounds with this setup were spent on dialing in impacts on top of crosshairs. Then shot 5 and 6 made a ragged hole followed by 7 which was 1" right and slightly lower than the ragged hole. I think I found a sweet spot for my barrel using re-15 @ 48.0 gr and sierra 250 gr slugs.