Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

How "important" are certain details when reloading?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 09:05 AM
Platinum Member

Re: How "important" are certain details when reloading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninflag View Post
my experience- the barrel, scope and trigger are way more important than loading details. pour some appropriate powder in case scrape it off with a butter knife crunch a bullet down if you have a good barrel . if you are shooting through a 17$ factory barrel it can not compare to a 400$ barrel. think of it this way- similarly ...cars with a $1700 engine pulls up next to one with a $40,000 engine ........ that said if you want to know the capability of your 721 first make sure the trigger is adjusted. put on a higher power scope . load some 175 grain match bullets 010 off . besides the powder you are using i would try h4350.
you put on a higher power scope?? a leup mark 4 6.5-20.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:09 AM
Platinum Member

Re: How "important" are certain details when reloading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninflag View Post
BartB- thanks. i saw the title and thought they might be relevant. barely even skimmed them. "" my opinion" for Trophy is: lapua (along with norma and nosler ) brass is way precise and anything i do to it will just fowl it up. precision shooting magazine had articles on de burring flash holes and uniforming flash holes. made the groups bigger. nolser brass only varies less than a Grain ! the vertical in the groups is from the lead sled/bench technique. the best group horizontal i believe was 1.2" is good enough for a very long shot on elk. especially with 180 partitions. i personally would not be able to tell much difference in bench testing without putting at least a 4.5-14 ; add one with the cds feature to the it and the rifle/scope are going to be good to 500 or .........
without putting at least " 4.5-14".