Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

how important is case length to accuracy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2013, 06:36 PM
Silver Member

how important is case length to accuracy?

I have Norma brass for a 300 win mag. I probably have 8 to 10 firings thru the brass. I've used a chamber length guage and all the brass is way less than the chamber length. I've never trimmed the brass because it is way less than the chamber length. How important is it from an accuracy standpoint to have all the brass exactly the same length even though it is way less than the chamber length???
Thanks.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:05 PM
Platinum Member

Re: how important is case length to accuracy?

Not much.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtube View Post
Not much.
+1
Similar length is most important as it helps create uniform neck tension
Old 07-19-2013, 08:14 AM
Gold Member

if "not much" is your accuracy standard,
then don't trim to uniform length.
(or do any of the other brass prep steps)
Old 07-19-2013, 09:25 AM
Silver Member

that all depends on what you are doing with your rifle.
If you are shooting gophers at 500 yards then the more consistant you are with your loading (trim length, powder charge, primer, case capacity seating depth, ect.) the more accurate you will be.
On the other hand if you are shooting moose at 10 yards who needs accuracy?
If you want extreme accuracy you must make extreme efforts, you only get out of it what you put into it
Old 07-19-2013, 02:43 PM
Platinum Member

"if "not much" is your accuracy standard,
(or do any of the other brass prep steps)"

Then again, maybe it depends on our ability to discriminate between what's meaningful and what isn't. It seems new guys major on trivials, maybe because that's what they can wrap their minds around?

Case prep can only go so far. Anyone thinking a zero tolerance for case length is a rational "accuracy standard" is gonna go nuts trying to figger out how to match primers in precise brissance batches or how to determine actual bullet grip from different cases vs. so-called "neck tension" and counting powder out by kernals.

More reasonable folk use a bit of common sense and recognise that a few thou difference in case trim length is meaningless in the larger picture of fine accuracy from high capacity (long range) cartridges. Learn to properly develop an accurate load and most folk will be amazed at how tolerant it will be about the trivials new guys like to agonize over; like high precision case length.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtube View Post
"if "not much" is your accuracy standard,
(or do any of the other brass prep steps)"

Then again, maybe it depends on our ability to discriminate between what's meaningful and what isn't. It seems new guys major on trivials, maybe because that's what they can wrap their minds around?

Case prep can only go so far. Anyone thinking a zero tolerance for case length is a rational "accuracy standard" is gonna go nuts trying to figger out how to match primers in precise brissance batches or how to determine actual bullet grip from different cases vs. so-called "neck tension" and counting powder out by kernals.

More reasonable folk use a bit of common sense and recognise that a few thou difference in case trim length is meaningless in the larger picture of fine accuracy from high capacity (long range) cartridges. Learn to properly develop an accurate load and most folk will be amazed at how tolerant it will be about the trivials new guys like to agonize over; like high precision case length.
WOW. Well said and so true. yet I'll still trim mine because I'm a hobbyist and I have reloading-related OCD.