Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

How hard is it to learn to reload ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 11:03 AM
Bronze Member

Re: How hard is it to learn to reload ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
They DID NOT use black powder! gary
Yes Gary, I know the reports say they used fireworks powder emptied from each canister. I'm just saying that Congress is equating the availability of 50 lb. packages of reload gun powder with the ability to build similar type bombs.
And they say, the fact that anyone can buy this 50 lb. bag of gun powder without going through a background check is something to be reviewed.

I have no idea if this powder can in fact be used for those types of purposes, just wanted to make it known that legislation is being offered to require a background check when buying this powder.

NH store: Boston bombing suspect bought fireworks
"Tamerlan Tsarnaev bought two "Lock and Load" reloadable mortar kits containing 24 shells each.
The amount of gunpowder that could be harvested from the kits — less than a pound and a half — would not have been enough to detonate the Boston bombs, company Vice President William Weimer said, although it's possible some of that powder may have been used.
The absence of colored smoke in the Boston explosions and other special effects powders mixed in with the fireworks' blast powder suggests the bombers sought and used an alternate fuel source, he said.
"My suspicion is they experimented with this, decided they couldn't get enough powder out of them and went to look for another fuel," Weimer said."
Old 04-27-2013, 11:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Owl Mirror View Post
Yes Gary, I know the reports say they used fireworks powder emptied from each canister. I'm just saying that Congress is equating the availability of 50 lb. packages of reload gun powder with the ability to build similar type bombs.
And they say, the fact that anyone can buy this 50 lb. bag of gun powder without going through a background check is something to be reviewed.

I have no idea if this powder can in fact be used for those types of purposes, just wanted to make it known that legislation is being offered to require a background check when buying this powder.

NH store: Boston bombing suspect bought fireworks
"Tamerlan Tsarnaev bought two "Lock and Load" reloadable mortar kits containing 24 shells each.
The amount of gunpowder that could be harvested from the kits less than a pound and a half would not have been enough to detonate the Boston bombs, company Vice President William Weimer said, although it's possible some of that powder may have been used.
The absence of colored smoke in the Boston explosions and other special effects powders mixed in with the fireworks' blast powder suggests the bombers sought and used an alternate fuel source, he said.
"My suspicion is they experimented with this, decided they couldn't get enough powder out of them and went to look for another fuel," Weimer said."
It's kind of that this is what society has evolved into.
glt
Old 04-27-2013, 12:27 PM
Silver Member

I live on the east coast so like it or not I have to read about NYC's Mayor Bloomberg on a regular basis. Give Mayor Bloomberg enough time and he will outlaw potato chips.

Regarding the Boston bombing. It is best we be careful what we post on this site. Plenty of the liberal press mining sites like this looking for "story" material. Facts are facts, Oklahoma City and Boston did not involve anything we use. Facts are facts, terrorists and other evil people will use whatever they can to spread their evil, evil mayhem.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep View Post
I live on the east coast so like it or not I have to read about NYC's Mayor Bloomberg on a regular basis. Give Mayor Bloomberg enough time and he will outlaw potato chips.

Regarding the Boston bombing. It is best we be careful what we post on this site. Plenty of the liberal press mining sites like this looking for "story" material. Facts are facts, Oklahoma City and Boston did not involve anything we use. Facts are facts, terrorists and other evil people will use whatever they can to spread their evil, evil mayhem.
you are really right. I have long learned to have a distrust for the new media (45 years now). As my Daddy used to say "I don't trust him any further than I can kick an anvil barefooted!"
gary
Old 04-30-2013, 10:50 PM
Silver Member

Hornady has there twist lock reloading kit that comes with electronic scale. Not sure how good there electronic scale is but the kit was 299.00. Of course some of those kits are way up there. I have a old CH press with huge shell holders I will just have to order some replacement parts and go that route.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:37 PM

Back on topic:
I reload and have been at it for over 40 years. I'm quite positive it hasn't saved me any money but I do get to shoot a lot more!

And accuracy compared to factory ammo is much much better!
Old 05-01-2013, 12:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemens View Post
Hornady has there twist lock reloading kit that comes with electronic scale. Not sure how good there electronic scale is but the kit was 299.00. Of course some of those kits are way up there. I have a old CH press with huge shell holders I will just have to order some replacement parts and go that route.

Buy used presses and such off of E-Bay. dirt cheap as compared to brand new