Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

How hard is it to learn to reload ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 04:33 PM
Bronze Member

How hard is it to learn to reload ?

To start off, I have ZERO knowledge of firearms. I will be buying my first rifle this week-end but, I have noticed many people prefer to reload their ammo either from a cost analysis or simply wanting more than the standard, off the shelf ammo offers.
Could someone explain How much of an investment in equipment would be, How much of a learning curve it takes or, being brand new to firearms should I stick to off the shelf ammo for my Savage .270 ?

Also, if buying off the shelf ammo, is there one particular brand that would be best to buy?
Old 04-24-2013, 04:36 PM
Silver Member

Re: How hard is it to learn to reload ?

all of my reloading stuff cost me around 1000$ I however bought the best stuff that I could. If you were to buy Lee stuff it could be done much cheaper.

Unless you only shoot the very most common bullets I would recommend you reload.

It is not hard to learn however you need to put the time into research so you fully understand what you are doing.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:42 PM
Platinum Member

It's not hard. It's just very time consuming. It's kinda nerve-wracking at first, but once you get the hang of it, it becomes second-nature to you.

I also bought good stuff, and didn't buy a starter kit, as most of that stuff I wouldn't use.

I bought all RCBS stuff. I also bought a RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 setup instead of a beam scale. Saves lots of time and energy.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:57 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanm70 View Post
all of my reloading stuff cost me around 1000$ I however bought the best stuff that I could. If you were to buy Lee stuff it could be done much cheaper.

Unless you only shoot the very most common bullets I would recommend you reload.

It is not hard to learn however you need to put the time into research so you fully understand what you are doing.
Thanks Stan !
Old 04-24-2013, 05:01 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
It's not hard. It's just very time consuming. It's kinda nerve-wracking at first, but once you get the hang of it, it becomes second-nature to you.

I also bought good stuff, and didn't buy a starter kit, as most of that stuff I wouldn't use.

I bought all RCBS stuff. I also bought a RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 setup instead of a beam scale. Saves lots of time and energy.
Well that's a lot of money for a newbie to invest in.
I assume using .270 ammo is readily available. Being new to firearms, I expect to be going through a lot of ammo, practicing. That's why I asked.
I don't think I'll go through $1000 worth of ammo while learning ;>}
Old 04-25-2013, 06:34 AM
Silver Member

can be as easy or as hard as you want it to. can also be inexpensive as $100 or the sky is the limit. i originally spent $500 buying good stuff, then spent another $1500 getting other stuff i wanted. however it can all be done with a $30 lee hand loader, a small scale and a primer seater. less than $100 total.

i would shoot a few factory rounds out your gun first and see if you are happy. most people reload for accuracy. it never ends up being cheaper in all reality.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:16 AM
Platinum Member

Mine didn't save me any money off the top, b/c I have ALOT of calibers I have to reload for, and dies and bullets and brass and powders and blah blah blah, I spent enough to buy a decent used car. LOL But if you are reloading for 1 or 2 calibers, you can get a nice setup for under $500.

However, my ammo price went from $4.33 a round for my 7mmSTW and .257 Wby Mag, to about $0.85 per round (not including brass, b/c I used surplus brass supplies I had saved up from all the years before I reloaded), with super high-grade components that are 100% accurate in capacities and consistancy. Not to mention, that I KNOW what's inside my ammo instead of some mystery powder.

The great thing about reloading (other than cost effectiveness) is that you can mix and match bullets and powders to find the perfect combo your gun likes.

Or, if you're like me, and you prefer a certain bullet for a certain caliber, and you can't purchase that same combination in factory loaded form, then you get to make your perfect ammo for your specific needs or purpose.

For example, I love Berger bullets b/c they shoot phenomenally out of all of my rifles. But finding factory loaded .257 Weatherby ammo with 115gr Berger VLD's is not gonna be possible. But I have some for deer this year, and I can't wait to see how they perform.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.