Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

How good is Remington Brass?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 11:08 PM
Silver Member

Re: How good is Remington Brass?

I pick Remington over Winchester if recently manufactured. If it is at least several years old, then Winchester is probably better than Remington. Norma or Nosler is better than either. Nosler is usually rebranded Norma and costs less than Norma. Don't overlook buying something like Sellier & Bellot at a bargain price for fireforming and saving the brass. Cheaper than buying all the components separately for fireforming. Another brand to buy is Fiocchi now that they have a factory in Missouri. S&B and Fiocchi make some very nice brass with good tight primer pockets.

Lake City and Federal weigh out the same and are both ATK companies. Both are good.

Remington brass is harder than recent Winchester brass. I would polish the cases first before running new Remington brass through resizing dies. The only cases I have ever stuck are new Remington cases. After fireforming, Remington resizes just fine.

Nosler just added 7x57mm Mauser to their brass line, so I would pick it over Remington or Winchester if buying new brass. The Nosler brass list keeps growing, so if you like Norma quality I would go there.

Remington brass is very thick in the web area. Water capacity is less than Norma or Winchester. As long as you anneal the necks, it should last about as long as Norma.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
Hi,

I need to buy brass for my 264 Win Mag and the only brass available at the moment in South Africa is Remington. Is it any good in terms of weight and life span?

Any comments welcome.
Remmy brass is the worst of the lot. But if its treated well it will do the job.

I prefer Win brass over all other US made commercial brass.

I'm forced to use Rem brass in my 338 RUM and 270 Allen Mag. Both shoot well at top velocities but I have about 20 pounds of Rem brass that made it for an average of around 6 shots.

Load them like a sane person and they will do very will.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:51 PM
Platinum Member

Roy....

At our age, multiple reloads are optional.