Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

How to find your most accurate load FAST.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 07:26 PM
Silver Member

How to find your most accurate load FAST.

Maybe some of you have already heard this, but for those who haven't, I'm gonna share a bit of advice an old timer shared with me a few years back.

We chatting at the trap range where I worked, when we got to talking about our varmint rifles. I mentioned I was having a hard time finding a good load for my .243, and he smiled, leaned in, and said quietly "Lemme tell ya a little secret..."

First, start at your minimum load- let's say 57 grains (I just finished doing this with my .300 Win mag). Load one shot with 57 grains of powder, and number it "1" with a Sharpie marker.

Now, look at your recommended max load- to make it nice and even we'll say 61 grains. That's five grains difference between max and min.

Load four more shots with 58, 59, 60, and 61 grains of powder in each, respectively. Number them "2" through "5".

Now, aiming at one bullseye, shoot all five shots in order 1-5. After every shot, circle the bullet hole, and write the number of the shot beside it.

Finally, look at your five-shot group. Whichever two shots hit closest together will be close to your perfect powder charge. You can fine-tune from there, working up from the milder of the two shots.

Obviously, this is no magic trick, and it won't work in ALL scenarios, but I've found it to be a real time saver.

When you've got a really accurate rifle (like the one I built and shot this group with) the results should look something like this-

You can tell, my most accurate load will be somewhere between 58 and 59 grains.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
How to find your most accurate load FAST.-img_0059-2-.jpg  
Old 04-11-2013, 07:36 PM
Silver Member

Re: How to find your most accurate load FAST.

People shoot several rounds of each load because it reduces outliers and provides a consistent average. I wouldn't be confident enough to just shoot one of each load but my hats off to you if you can!
Old 04-11-2013, 08:43 PM
Silver Member

Well, it's a quick way to get very close to the perfect charge weight without burning a lot of ammo or heading back to the loading bench.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

I've done that when I need to find a safe charge with mil-surp powders. I'll walk it in (charge weights) until they start clustering, that's when start loading groups and shoot until the velocity and accuracy fall in. Often you can get it done in under 20 shots including proving the group with at least 5 rounds in one group.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

I've done it at 200 yards because it gets you more distance between your hits on target and therefore a bit easier to say where your node is. Usually 7-9 loads set up, and go from there.

The "3 rounds of each load" always seems to be too much data which just gets you confused.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:23 AM
Platinum Member

All it takes is a seating adjustment to screw up that plan, and if you don't have best seating, you probably don't have your best load either. What you might have is best for chosen seating only. There is also the formed status of your brass. If cases aren't fully formed and sized to stable, load development isn't done -until this is met and shooting best with it.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:37 AM
Gold Member

Only way ive found is to shoot ALOT of different combos. Id dearly love to find a differnt way and save some money but i doubt anyone will ever come up with a better way then shooting groups.