Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

how far is too far to jump a berger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 01:14 PM

how far is too far to jump a berger

I am shooting a 6.5 x 284 Shehane, it really likes the 140 grain Nosler Competition, but the bc isn't so good on those bullets. I would like to be able to shoot the 140 grain hunting vld. i do now, with a 20 thou. jump and they shoot great, but I want to be able to get them to fit my magazine. I do have a wyatts extended box magazine, so they can me 2.95 or so long. is that 120 thou jump too much? what determines the accuracy of the load, as long as they start straight shouldn't they shoot straight too, no matter the jump?
Old 03-29-2011, 07:06 PM
Platinum Member

Re: how far is too far to jump a berger

I don't think anyone knows why certain distance to the lands matters, but it does for sure.
At what distance YOUR barrel will like? No way to know or predict it...
There is no set value. It's simply the best you can do with what you have. Could be anything.

What I do is pick a distance to begin that leaves room for adjustment both ways. I use a random, moderate load, and adjust seating for tightest grouping. Then I follow up with powder adjustments for better grouping still. Then I tweak seating both ways to validate that it's right where it should be(in it's performing band).

Since you'll have to be ~120 off, you can start at ~130off and adjust for best grouping with what your bound to. Then, load develop with powder, etc.
If the bullet doesn't give you what you need from there, change bullets, or concede to single shot with a follower instead of a magazine, and start over.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member

Generally speaking the VLDs like less jump. I typically set them at .005 to .010 off the lands. The longest jump I've seen that produces consistent results is .020. I think .120 would be too long but you will never know until you try.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member

You seen the sticky at the top of this forum section, right?
Getting the Best Precision and Accuracy from Berger VLD bullets in Your Rifle
Old 03-30-2011, 12:12 AM
Silver Member

In the 2 rifles I shoot VLD'S in they both shoot good at 2 depths, .010 and .050 off the lands. One rifle shoot great at either measurement but the other gun will give a flier every once in awhile at .010 off. All you can really do is give it a try and do everything you can to get the accuracy you want and dont rest untill you are satisfied. Because that is the beauty of shooting it is all about your satisfaction.

Good luck, Jason
Old 03-30-2011, 10:00 AM

Mike i did see the sticky at the top of this section and have read it a few times, and i have heard from all different people before about how far they have jumped their bergers. I guess the only real answer is after i get some trigger time with these loads that are short. and if they don't shoot all that great maybe build a long action hunting rifle in the same caliber ! or just shoot them single shot. I just don't want to spend too much time trying different bullets and limit my barrel life. But thanks guys for all the quick responses.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:52 PM
Platinum Member

Just tryin to help
Single shot should not be scary. You take the shots you're confident in, or not.

I would take accuracy(which is defined with a single shot) over capacity every time in LR hunting.