Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

How do you lower S.D.?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-06-2008, 03:08 PM
You guys are right.
I have no idea what I am doing.
I new at this and I'm happy with MOPP ( Minute of pie plate )

I never said I don't use a chony. I use it when it is warrented.

by telling that shooter to debur his flash holes, neck turn, use a chrono to reduce SD, etc etc etc. That shooter needs a change to his load that will shoot consistantly tight groups FIRST. Then apply the tricks of the trade to tweek that last 10%. Period, bottom-line, end of story.
ummm yeah... now you can use a chrony.. that's all I was saying.

Load development like a ladder test or round robin. Do you really need to know how fast your moving until you find the "sweet spots" sure I guess if you are curious.

I guess you could always take all the load develoment form all the forums here and say well thats what they use so my rifle should like it too.

ES, SD all they is important once you narrow down your choices. To break out the chrony from the jump. Waste of time until you get a handle on what your rifle likes. IE: after a ladder or round robin test.

And not to stir the pot but "My Opinion" about a bullet straightning out
once it leaves the barrel is that a bullet has no brain and does not
correct it,s flight .If it starts out 1" to the left it will only get worse
due to outside forces (Wind,temp,humidity.altitude ETC) in a vacuum
if it starded out 1" to the left @ 100yrds it would be 2"left @ 200 and
10"@ 1000yrds so the best way to keep the accuracy at long distances
is to use bullets with the highest balistic coefficient that resist these out
side effects.
shhhhhh O/C maybe someone has a line on smart bullets... you know like the tomahawk missle types.

I used to think that pitching an yawing ( not asleep yet ) had some validity but I always wondered how the bullet knew to straighten out on the intended path the driver pointed it at and not somewhere else.
I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong if someone can show me this happens. I have heard alot of guys say it but no one has proven it.

This poor soul is in the weeds so far that the sun is not even visable... What a pantload!!
I'm more than willing to test my skills against yours. ;-)

Last edited by Weda; 02-06-2008 at 03:31 PM.

Unread 02-06-2008, 05:40 PM
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by Weda View Post

I'm more than willing to test my skills against yours. ;-)
Hey I am for it----- the 26th of April ----- last year came in 4th in the 1K State Championships and won it the year before all shooting score NOT for GROUP ;-!Schedule

Looking forward to it!!
The Truth Is Not Always Good For Business!!
Unread 02-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Platinum Member
Duplicate Post
The Truth Is Not Always Good For Business!!

Last edited by Boss Hoss; 02-06-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Unread 02-06-2008, 08:31 PM
Platinum Member
"SORRY" But I have to ask,Why you would load first and then go back and
prep your brass after getting a decent load ?? this could change everything

If preping (size,trim,deburr,chamfer and weigh) is not important then you could mix your brass (winchester,remingtion,hornady,norma ETC) with no
ill effects. I DONT THINK SO !!!

Reloading is like gun smithing,You never get a second chance to do it right the first time. So dont go backwards ,take things one at a time.

The devil made me do it
Unread 02-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Silver Member
What is considered an acceptable standard deviation?

Less than 15 or so?
Unread 02-06-2008, 09:41 PM
Platinum Member
Weda, did you ever have one of those "tops" when you were a kid? the kind that you would wrap a string around it and hank the string to "spin it like a top" they're usually round with a very pointed tip that allows it to spin for quite a while on the floor or any smooth surface. when you first cut it loose, it doesn't stay in one spot, but travels in a circle as it leans ever so slightly towards the center of the circular path it's on. then in a few seconds it will stop it's circular path and spin in one spot, or very close to one spot. eventually it starts wobbling and goes all over the place till it of course stops all together. this is a yaw effect and pretty much how a bullet acts as it goes through the a bullet goes down the barrel, it's fully supported and all of a sudden it's not when it's released into the air. like the top it starts going in a circular manner but the tip is always pointing to a spot well downrange on the centerline with the bore of the barrel.

i tested this with a gun that would shoot an inch at 200 yards if all was well. i put targets up at 35, 75, 125 and 200. i shot using a round robin method and all the groups were around an inch except the 35. it was about .75 in diameter. i shot at 35 yards only on another day and the group was about the same. i only did this with one gun but i'm a firm believer in the "yaw effect"
Unread 02-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Silver Member
Well I traded my A-bolt for a new savage 110fp,I am curious to see if the gun itself will make a difference.Regardless of what gun I am shooting,I will alway's try to get the SD down to a minimum.After all,isn't that what makes tight groups,CONSISTANCY.