Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

How do you find that screaming Accurate Load??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2010, 11:33 AM
Platinum Member

Re: How do you find that screaming Accurate Load??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
I don't stop working up till I hit max as comfirmed by chonograph and observed pressure signs then I look for the highest pressure with the best accuracy. I group shoot over a chronograph while working up a load, so far the highest pressure and accuracy node corespond with low SD and ES.
Then I start shooting at distance and it seems to work OK and based on just a few years of trying to get extreem accuracy and speed for LRH.

I like the longer range groups to reflect what the gun is capable of, if I shoot 1/2 MOA at 100 yrds I want to see it farther down range. Or MOC at 500yrds, Minute Of Coyote

I would be tweeked if I was shooting a RUM at winmag velocity!!! .
HA now your talking Minute of Coyote

It has been a while sence I've shot my rifle and looked at my load data . So i decided to go and see exactly what I was running as far as MV .

AV MV of 2,845
85.5 grains of retumbo
3.675 OAL
381 yard 3 shot group 3 inches center to center.

This load produced .256 group at 200 yards.
I think I messed up at the 381 yard target one round went just before I was completely ready.

What I don't like about this load is it produced a 63.24 ES and a 33.64 SD and that sucks for way out their.

One question for you guys I know I probably shouldn't have done it this way but I obatined my AV MV by a 3 shot average . Shouldn't I have done it by a 10 shot string wouldn't that be a more consitent way of obtaining an accurate AV ?

BigBuck
Old 05-10-2010, 02:35 PM
Gold Member

That is a great 200yd group! You may have your accuracy load.

I would not use only 3shots to make any significant statistical deductions
I quote three shot groups but shoot many of them to get a much larger test sample. Once numerous groups are successful I know I have a repeatable load.

10 shots would be much better for velocity analysis. The more the better, within reason.

I read an article written by a statistician and he said that the smallest meaningful test sample would be 7 shots.

PM sent

Last edited by RockZ; 05-10-2010 at 07:59 PM. Reason: pm
Old 05-10-2010, 08:14 PM
Gold Member

The sticky on ladder testing is awesome.
I even color my bullets with sharpies. Makes it much easier to separate the good from the bad at long range!

Last edited by RockZ; 05-10-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member

RockZ,

What kind of target were you shooting at that showed up the sharpi color. I have a batch colored up sitting on the counter but I was wondering if there is a better target or backer.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 05-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Gold Member

Just using a white target with a 3" orange dot in the center.
if you can't make out the color, just get a q-tip and moisten it with alcohol (cleaning solvent if you don't have alcohol) , rub it on the bullet hole and the color will come out.