Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

how do you blow out the shoulders on a stw?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 08:21 AM
Bronze Member

Re: how do you blow out the shoulders on a stw?

I don't have a lot of experience in the larger calibers. I load a lot of ppc, 6br, 6 remington,and so on. the only other big guy I have is a .338 win mag finnbear sako. I know it matters a lot on the smaller cases. I guess its not as critical when you're dealing with 80+ grain powder charges. I am more of a varmint/ benchrest shooter.Thanks again for all the help.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antitactical View Post
I don't have a lot of experience in the larger calibers. I load a lot of ppc, 6br, 6 remington,and so on. the only other big guy I have is a .338 win mag finnbear sako. I know it matters a lot on the smaller cases. I guess its not as critical when you're dealing with 80+ grain powder charges. I am more of a varmint/ benchrest shooter.Thanks again for all the help.
I don't really shoot a lot of smaller stuff. I do have an AR and shoot a 22-250 savage striker occasionally, but other than that it's mid- cal's and bigger.
The stw will index pretty well on the belt and the long case; I believe that's why it still does alright with new/unformed brass.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

The really GOOD thing about fire forming STW brass out of 300, or 375 HH brass, is that you can get some NORMA brass in that flavor, then you will have the best that there is. Maybe I'll play that game someday. HMMMM!
Old 02-01-2013, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member

I've been putting holes through things with the stw for 15 years with two different rifles. My father has also has two of these, but he still has his first. Both of mine(and the one my father still has) will shoot under 1/2 moa with any brass you put into them. I've shot cloverleafs fireforming 375 h@h brass. It really isn't necessary to pre-fire your brass here( I would blow out h@h brass first because of the volume difference). You are peeing into the wind for the most part.

Not to start an argument, just to clarify. I normally do not Quote a negative remark just the ones
I think are good advice to keep a productive post, so bear with me.

I have one of the first 7 STWs that were built when Lane Simpson first came out with it and we
used 8mm Rem Mag brass because there was no such thing as 7 STW brass for years. In fact it
was called a 7mm/8mm Rem. There also was a 30/8mm Rem.

A square was the first to produce loaded ammo for it and I still have all of the brass I started with.

If trying to get the best accuracy and brass life is peeing into the wind, I am guilty. My loads were
140 grain partitions at 3550 ft/sec and by not over sizing and annealing the necks I have not had
to throw away any brass.

My "starting" point for accuracy is 1/2 MOA and I have been able to squeeze 1/10th MOA groups
out of the STW by careful loading and minimal sizing. So I,m glad you are happy with the
performance you get. For long range hunting/shooting I feel that a 1/2 MOA group is the max group
size and 1/4 MOA or less is a good goal for the sport.

I only post my beliefs and methods to help those that are interested. NO ONE HAS TO DO ,OR
FOLLOW THESE SUGGESTIONS.

As a craftsman and a gunsmith I consider everything important to acheave the best and consider
nothing as just "******* in the wind" .

J E CUSTOM
Old 02-02-2013, 10:08 AM
Platinum Member

JE, I really don't think we are that far apart here, but we do diverge on shooting your brass first. I DO respect your opinion, don'y get me wrong on that. I try to abide by the K.I.S.S. principle though and make as little make work as possible while still turning out good ammo.
I'm down to .22" at 100 yards for my tightest groups with my current rifle with the 171 barnes and rl25 with brand new brass; simply trimmed and loaded not played with otherwise. My last rifle would shoot cloverleafs without trying with any brass. The last group I fired with this rifle was a .4" at 100 with a load it didn't even really like re-sighting with a 6x scope for trade. The rifle had 1500 rounds on it and the rifling was getting very tired.

My current rifle has rather soft wood and the action screws were backing out every couple of boxes of ammo. I've pillar bedded her, and all is well now, so I'm going to re-run my loads to see what I missed last year.
I simply used sub half moa as I don't brag and everyone garfs a group now and again and that's where those usually land.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
JE, I really don't think we are that far apart here, but we do diverge on shooting your brass first. I DO respect your opinion, don'y get me wrong on that. I try to abide by the K.I.S.S. principle though and make as little make work as possible while still turning out good ammo.
I'm down to .22" at 100 yards for my tightest groups with my current rifle with the 171 barnes and rl25 with brand new brass; simply trimmed and loaded not played with otherwise. My last rifle would shoot cloverleafs without trying with any brass. The last group I fired with this rifle was a .4" at 100 with a load it didn't even really like re-sighting with a 6x scope for trade. The rifle had 1500 rounds on it and the rifling was getting very tired.

My current rifle has rather soft wood and the action screws were backing out every couple of boxes of ammo. I've pillar bedded her, and all is well now, so I'm going to re-run my loads to see what I missed last year.
I simply used sub half moa as I don't brag and everyone garfs a group now and again and that's where those usually land.

It does sound like we are not far apart. and I apologize if I came on strong, but as I readily admit,
I am anal about everything related to shooting the best I can and depend on the quality of the
re-loads and the rifle to assist me. (I want the rifle to be better than me all the time).

Like you I don,t brag about group size To me it a measurement of the quality of the rifle and ammo.
I know that there are people that could take one of my rifles and using my pet loads could out
shoot anything I could/have done because there is allways someone that can out shoot me on any
given day.

Thanks for the reply.

J E CUSTOM