Re: How to develop an accurate load? Development process?
Here's how you do it in less than 30 rounds.
1. Find your max coal to the ogive of the bullet
2. Pick a powder that gives good case volume 95-100% (Retumbo is great for the 168 - 180)
3. Load powder from 2 grains under book max to 1 grain over max in .5 grain increments 3 shots each ( 7 - 3 shot groups for 21 total)
4. Seat bullets with .002 - .003 neck tension and a .010 jam
5. Shoot and OCW test with those rounds at 100 yards round robin
6. Pick your OCW group and load 3 shots at a .010 jam, just touching lands, and .o10 off lands. 9 Rounds total
If your gun is worth a squat you will have at least a .5" grouping gun- capable of shoot stuff a long waays off.
Take 30 bullets and do this and post results.