Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

How to determine best distance from lands

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2009, 10:14 PM
Bronze Member

Re: How to determine best distance from lands

I just loaded up several rounds using the article that 280fan posted. If all goes well, should be trying them out tomorrow. Hardest part for me being new to reloading was finding exactly how far to seat the bullets to touch the lands. My loads tonight didn't start touching the lands, just needed to know for a reference.

To find the touching lands point I made a slit on each side of the case neck and inserted a bullet seated way too long. Then put a drop of oil on the ogive of the bullet to help keep it from sticking. I did that 3-5 times on 5 different bullets to get a good average. Then used that as my max distance with that bullet. After that I checked to see if that length would cycle through the magazine. Oddly, I tried using a marker to coat a bullet to start but it gave different readings compared to bare bullets.

boomtube, where in NC are you? I just moved to TN and am taking up LR hunting (3-400 yards for me) and would like to know where I could practice at some extended ranges. Farthest near me here in Johnson City TN is 300 yards and you have to be a member to the club.