Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

How dependable are 223 loads in Hornady's 7th edition?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 12:22 PM
Platinum Member

Re: How dependable are 223 loads in Hornady's 7th edition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
Aint that the truth... I've never really used accurate other than their powder flyers, but hogdgon # 26 has got to have the least BS data of any of the more modern manuals. It's my oldest manual, and I will cross reference to it if the powder was manufactured when the manual was put out.
The only problem I see with #26 is it is still crusher data, so some of the rounds that were dumbed down a bit for PSI guaging are still going full steam. Not usually a problem, but they were dumbed down when the switch was made for a reason, such as varying throating or chamber dimensions for a couple of the rifle rounds or lightweight pea shooters for a couple of the pistol rounds.
somewhere around the house I have an old white powder manual from Hogdon. It's smaller than the current manual (the old man was still alive and well). I like the Accurate manual as they were the first to do service rifle loads and BPMC stuff with modern powders. Plus their powders often bridge gaps and have slightly different burn rates even though they have similar numbers (example is IMR 4350, H4350, and AA4350). I have found that some of the loads that come out of the #26 manual are pretty hot without getting upto near max!. My only complaint about it is that they don't throw in the AA powders. Probably has the best hand gun data I've ever seen.
gary