Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

How close is close enough?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2012, 10:25 AM

How close is close enough?

When seating bullets???

I measure my bullets by the ogive and separate in lots of .002.

When seating, I get a spread by as much as .005. measuring again by the ogive (looking for 3.038 and getting 3.035 - 3.040). I seldom see the same measurement back to back. I am using redding dies with micro seating adjuster. I have cleaned the seating die to make sure no trash is up there, and I make sure the bullets are clean.

I know this may be a little anal, so I need to know if everyone gets this or is there something I am doing wrong???

Bill

Last edited by Hotrod617; 08-18-2012 at 10:40 AM. Reason: adding more info
Old 08-18-2012, 11:16 AM
Platinum Member

Re: How close is close enough?

If your bullet comparator doesn't read from the same place on the ojive as the seating plug contacts the ojive then the only measurement that means anything is after the bullet is seated. That's only in reference to the length your looking for.

Whats your grouping tell you? If your still getting .5 moa at 300 then I wouldn't worry to much about it.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 08-18-2012, 11:22 AM

Joe,

thanks for the reply.

I guess my problem (question) is does everyone get as much as a .005 spread when seating??

Oooops... I also didn't think about it till you said something, I did not measure brass......

Crap, I'm such a dumb azz :(

That's the thing I missed.

bill
Old 08-18-2012, 12:33 PM
Platinum Member

It depends on the bullets your using. With custom I've seen it be spot on, usually withing 0.002"

Mass produced yea 0.005 is pretty normal from what I've seen.

your brass length won't effect that, your seating die doesn't care how long your brass is (within reason)
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 08-18-2012, 01:03 PM
Platinum Member

I'm usually .002. But have seen variations as much as .005. Doesn't seem to have a big impact unless I'm working with seating distances at or in the lands but I avoid that for hunting loads usually keeping them away from the lands, usually +.0.010' out.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 08-18-2012, 01:31 PM
Gold Member

With smks and comp redding dies, even after sorting bullets, mine vary by up to .oo5, but usually closer to .002-.003. I rough seat mine .005 to long, measure them, sort them in groups by how many thousands they are to long, adjust the micrometer and then final seat to desired oal. I cannot confirm this is neccesary. i do this because Carlock showed me this when I built my first edge and have been doing it all along.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamiglas View Post
With smks and comp redding dies, even after sorting bullets, mine vary by up to .oo5, but usually closer to .002-.003. I rough seat mine .005 to long, measure them, sort them in groups by how many thousands they are to long, adjust the micrometer and then final seat to desired oal. I cannot confirm this is neccesary. i do this because Carlock showed me this when I built my first edge and have been doing it all along.

I'm not convinced that some of the sorting we do has any real effect the we as individual shooters can realize. Some of it is necessary to get the best accuracy but who knows. Take good custom bullets, I personally quit sorting them at all, and still get grouping that amazes me. With say common polymer tipped bonded core bullets though, I sort them before I do anything else.

I am a firm believer though that a well developed load and a well tuned rifle will perform far better than all but the very best shooters, and even then the conditions have to be just so.

Joe