Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

how can I get cold barrel shot to fall within group?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Platinum Member

Re: how can I get cold barrel shot to fall within group?

I do cold barrel load development with each hunting barrel. Even lower stress cut rifled barrels.
It can take months. It is completely different than BR group shooting.
But you've implied that this is a hunting gun, and so your focus SHOULD be on cold barrel ACCURACY
(not grouping).

It was suggested that you might accept a low potential for followup shooting. I suggest you make it a rule..
Say this:
IF I MISS, IT LIVES ANOTHER DAY.
There, it's simple, sporting, and will help you accept your true capability.

Don't hate a hunting barrel until you truly define it's accuracy potential. I mean for all you know, it could be fantastic.
I had a Browning Eclipse in 223 with BOSS. It would never group consistantly under 1/2moa. But I managed to get it to a point where I could pick it from a case, and place a single shot within 1/4moa of my mark. I could do it five times, on five different days, as mentioned.
Best woodchuck gun I ever had.
Nothing I have today is this accurate, even though all GROUP better than 1/2moa. It's funny you mention Cooper, as my best accuracy right now comes from one, again in 223. And again, the cheapest gun in my safe!

A couple tips here;
-One thing that helps for cold CLEAN barrel shots is Tungsten coating the bullets, and a pre-burnishing the bore after cleaning.
-One thing that screws up cold barrel accuracy, is oil in the bore. Even a trace is bad until burned completely out. So always wash solvents out with the best alcohol you can buy.
Either way, that bore needs to be dry for consistant cold barrel shooting.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:02 PM
Silver Member

Re: how can I get cold barrel shot to fall within group?

Some folks think that the "cold bore" changed point of impact has nothing to do with the rifle and everything to do with the shooter... might give the above link a read for some ideas. YMMV.

PS: That whole thread has really good discussion on different potential factors, etc. Good read.

Last edited by mattj; 08-10-2008 at 06:13 PM.