Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading


Reply

How to build a reloading bench your wife won't mind having in the house

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #15  
Old 03-18-2012, 02:01 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,034
Re: How to build a reloading bench your wife won't mind having in the house

Jonthomps, fine looking setup! Gives me some ideas too.

I once proposed to use a very heavily built pine coffee table in the living room (it had a 2" thick top) as a reloading bench. That was a great idea too. She vetoed it when she found out that I was going to drill (2) 7/16" holes in it for the press, and use some c-clamps for the priming tool and powder measure. Closest I ever came to moving my reloading into the house.

Something like you and your dad built would probably be acceptable to her though. However, it's way too neat. I'd have to scramble it and get it satisfactorily cluttered. (Then close the doors).

Thanks for taking the time to post and for the pics.

Beautiful neighbors. Tom
__________________
Texas State Rifle Association Life Member
NRA Endowment Life Member

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-18-2012, 03:05 PM
Official LRH Sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ventura CA
Posts: 885
Awesome! That's a great set-up for the house. Seriously, he should offer that as a product. Rough price?

I took over the garage for my shop. That space is too valuable to park cars in.
__________________

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-18-2012, 03:56 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: S.E. Michigan
Posts: 3,464
Re: How to build a reloading bench your wife won't mind having in the house

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce_ventura View Post
Awesome! That's a great set-up for the house. Seriously, he should offer that as a product. Rough price?

I took over the garage for my shop. That space is too valuable to park cars in.
...maybe in Ventura. It don't snow there. It does here so a garage is a nice thing to have for the car....

I just incorporated my loading stuff in my machine shop, in the corner but I still prime and seat bullets in the kitchen with the powder measure and press clamped to my wife's granite countertop on her island. I'm not exerting much force seating bullets and I made it so there is a 2x4 on top and bottom. She's not overjoyed but I haven't been evicted yet....
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-18-2012, 05:59 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Grain Valley, MO
Posts: 458
Re: How to build a reloading bench your wife won't mind having in the house

Quote:
Originally Posted by specweldtom View Post
Jonthomps, fine looking setup! Gives me some ideas too.

I once proposed to use a very heavily built pine coffee table in the living room (it had a 2" thick top) as a reloading bench. That was a great idea too. She vetoed it when she found out that I was going to drill (2) 7/16" holes in it for the press, and use some c-clamps for the priming tool and powder measure. Closest I ever came to moving my reloading into the house.

Something like you and your dad built would probably be acceptable to her though. However, it's way too neat. I'd have to scramble it and get it satisfactorily cluttered. (Then close the doors).

Thanks for taking the time to post and for the pics.

Beautiful neighbors. Tom
Hi Tom,

I had originally planned to use 2" butcher block as the top, but after pricing it I decided to double-up on the 5/8 MDF. Glad I did, it's way cheaper and doesn't budge! Also, the formica top doesn't absorb anything (cleaning solvent, gun oil, etc). We used a stud finder and anchored it to the wall via 3 4x4's so it's not going anywhere.

I DO need more stuff, right!?! And the beauty of the whole system is that you can quit a project right in the middle of the process (like working brass), close the doors, and . . . presto! Everything looks great.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-18-2012, 06:18 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Grain Valley, MO
Posts: 458
Re: How to build a reloading bench your wife won't mind having in the house

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce_ventura View Post
Awesome! That's a great set-up for the house. Seriously, he should offer that as a product. Rough price?

I took over the garage for my shop. That space is too valuable to park cars in.
Hi bruce_ventura,

Price is in the $1500 range for everything you see, give or take $100. Cabparts phone number is: 1.888.398.1802. Ask for Stuart Thompson. It's completely customizable (overall size, wood species for doors, interior/exterior cabinet box colors, number/size of drawers, etc). I'm sure shipping would depend on where you lived. The project finishes looking like any other kitchen cabinetry.

Dimensions of mine is: W:7ft H:7ft D:28in. It looks like it is on casters (wheels) but each individual cabinet is actually mounted on four European leveling legs. They are awesome - each leg is infinitely adjustable for slight variations in the floor. Mine is mounted on carpet so this worked especially well.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-18-2012, 07:08 PM
Official LRH Sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ventura CA
Posts: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip
... I still prime and seat bullets in the kitchen with the powder measure and press clamped to my wife's granite countertop on her island...
I hear RL-19 goes pretty well on salads!
__________________

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-21-2012, 12:11 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central Wyoming
Posts: 34
Re: How to build a reloading bench your wife won't mind having in the house

Very nice!
__________________
NRA Life Member
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: How to build a reloading bench your wife won't mind having in the house
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reloading tools, supplies etc. Cleaning house! Hookturnr Reloading Equipment and Components 5 03-12-2012 11:27 AM
reloading bench TH Reloading 8 04-27-2010 10:05 AM
Let's see your reloading bench Coues Sniper Reloading 29 07-18-2008 12:47 AM
What is the Best Reloading Bench redbone Reloading 4 09-17-2007 09:43 AM
Reloading Bench Lostsheep Equipment Discussions 6 04-14-2002 08:11 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC