Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

How about those speer bullets?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 01:21 PM
Bronze Member

How about those speer bullets?

I have ask this question on other sights and never got any replies,which I thought strange....I read about all the other match grade bullets except for the Speer's.

I shoot the Hornady and Sierra with good results..And while looking through my cupboard I came across a box of 190 gr match Speer bullets...I guess I forgot I had them..I got to thinking then,that they are very seldom mentioned..

So the next time I go to the club,I plan on trying a few of them...So if anyone has tried any of them I would be interested in hearing about it..Thanks..John
Old 01-30-2013, 01:37 PM
Silver Member

Re: How about those speer bullets?

Interesting question. I have a Speer reloading manual and a few boxes of very old bullets. The Speer manual is on the bottom of the pile and only gets pulled out when I'm working all the angles for a load that is pretty much never for a Speer. Their bullets just are not very interesting or modern. I think I have their latest manual, #14, and it came out in 2007 and while not as old as Sierras, it is getting dated. Hornady, Nosler and Berger all have brand new manuals out. Speer still uses lead tips which tend to get mashed in the magazine when subjected to recoil. It would never occur to me to actually use a Speer bullet. But that is just me, others may and probably do have a different view.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:45 PM
Silver Member

I tried some Speer's out of my 243. I picked them up at a garage sale as they were mixed in with some other brass and bullets that I wanted. I tried several different loads, but I could not get better than a 3" group with a gun that shoots 87 gr Hornady's in half inch groups. I have never tried them again, just used them to fire form brass after that. That's just my experience though. Other's may have done better.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:54 PM
Gold Member

I picked up a box of 95gr to try in my 243 also wish I got a 3" group in a word they "SUCK" JMO.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:47 PM
Bronze Member

good replies,and thanks...They must be selling or it seems they would be out of business? I am going to load some of the 190 gr. match I have here and see how the work out of my 308...But I suppose a fair test has to be done with them like I have with the other brands...I have tried Bergers with nothing to brag about until I found the majic O,A,L for them...John
Old 01-30-2013, 04:15 PM
Platinum Member

I've shot many Speer bullets in the past with pretty good results just like the other brands. When your looking at 3" groups in a 6mm something, you need to be looking at barrel twist. There is no 95 grain bullet listed in my manual, but there is an 85 grain bullet with a .40 B/C. That's gonna have to have a true 1:9 twist barrel instead of somebody stamped on it. I had trouble with Bergers that had a .38 B/C with a nine twist barrel (well they claimed it was). The 190 grain bullet is listed as having a .54 B/C, and you should know upfront that your not gonna make it shoot well in a slower twist barrel. Plus your barrel may not like them anyway, but that dosn't mean the bullet is bad. The only Speer bullets that I just couldn't make shoot well in any barrel (all were 14 twist) was their 52 grain bullets, and I might add that Sierras and Hornadays would shoot well either.
gary
Old 01-30-2013, 04:53 PM
Gold Member

Trickymissfit
Well my bad, I didn't want to walk outside to my office this morn since it was pouring down rain so I was going off top of my head on weight, just went and looked they are 100 grain boat tails and they didn't work for me. It's been a couple of years ago when I tried them you know what they say memory is first thing to go. Now I gotta go shake off.
Rifle is a 10 twist.