Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

hot load advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2008, 02:40 PM
Platinum Member

hot load advice

If you found the mother of all loads for your .308 as far as accuracy is concerned, but knew it was a tad hot, would you change the load?

I have a load that I worked up in December for my .308 that was pretty good. I was out in the reloading room this morning and decided to blow the dust out of my 308 barrel. I pulled out my cartridge box and was surprised to find 10 loaded rounds. I thought I had shot them all up at the last match I shot with this gun back in March. I drug everything I needed to my bench, figured my come ups and let two rounds fly. I wasnt impressed with the 6+ inches of verticle because of the fouler. I adjusted the windage into the scope and fired four rounds down range. I drove down to the target and found a 3.5 inch group with less than 2 inches of verticle. I marked the holes and drove back to me bench and shot the last 4 rounds. The gun printed an almost identicle group this time.

Both groups are probably better than I can hold at 800 yards with the 14x scope and are right there with the groups I shoot with my f-class open rifles. Last time I used this load in a match I pierced a primer, but it shoots so darned well that I am undecided what to do.

It is a min spec chamber cut in a kreiger 12 twist on a nesika action in a mcmillan general purpose stock with a leupold 4.5x14 vx3LR. I am shooting varget with a 168 berger. The gun has always shoot good but this hot load is the most accurate thing I have seen in this gun. My good sense says change the load and that even one pierced primer out of 100 rounds is unacceptable, but it is hard to change a load shooting like this.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:36 AM
Bronze Member

Did you notice any other high-pressure-signs such as difficult bolt lift, impressions on the head-stamp, or other primers that are cratered?

If so, rework the load. If not, take due notice, record that shot, and proceed with caution. Or if you feel the need, rework the load anyways.

EH
Old 06-09-2008, 01:40 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks Benny I guess I was looking for someone to talk me into using what little sense god gave me

The only other pressure sign I have besides cases sticking in the chamber are flattened primers, but hey its really freakin shooting good. I know I am going to have to rework the load and settle for something a little safer, but probably not as accurate...but thats okay, I wanted to try some higher BC bullets anyway.

I posted that kinda as a joke expecting someone to admonish me, guess no one cares whether I lose an eye:mad: Thats okay I did get the two best .308 groups I ever shot at 800 yards out of the deal I know its just a bit better than 1/2 MOA but I was happy with em. Too bad the load is soo darn hot. If the wind hadnt got me a tad on both groups I think they would have really been something. The bullet hole out to the right was not part of either group, but one of the first two shot fired to get on paper.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:35 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddybo View Post
If you found the mother of all loads for your .308 as far as accuracy is concerned, but knew it was a tad hot, would you change the load?

I have a load that I worked up in December for my .308 that was pretty good. I was out in the reloading room this morning and decided to blow the dust out of my 308 barrel. I pulled out my cartridge box and was surprised to find 10 loaded rounds. I thought I had shot them all up at the last match I shot with this gun back in March. I drug everything I needed to my bench, figured my come ups and let two rounds fly. I wasnt impressed with the 6+ inches of verticle because of the fouler. I adjusted the windage into the scope and fired four rounds down range. I drove down to the target and found a 3.5 inch group with less than 2 inches of verticle. I marked the holes and drove back to me bench and shot the last 4 rounds. The gun printed an almost identicle group this time.

Both groups are probably better than I can hold at 800 yards with the 14x scope and are right there with the groups I shoot with my f-class open rifles. Last time I used this load in a match I pierced a primer, but it shoots so darned well that I am undecided what to do.

It is a min spec chamber cut in a kreiger 12 twist on a nesika action in a mcmillan general purpose stock with a leupold 4.5x14 vx3LR. I am shooting varget with a 168 berger. The gun has always shoot good but this hot load is the most accurate thing I have seen in this gun. My good sense says change the load and that even one pierced primer out of 100 rounds is unacceptable, but it is hard to change a load shooting like this.
You pierced a primer? Only one in 100? Have you seen any other pressure signs? What's the velocity, and powder charge?
Old 06-09-2008, 07:54 PM
Platinum Member

The loads pretty hot .280rem. It was hot when I loaded them, I just didnt expect to wait so long to shoot them.....its now 90+ degrees. I guess it actually is a testament to varget's temp stability. When I shot a local match with the gun a while back the range officer stood by me and would knock my empty cases out with a cleaning rod It was only low 80s at that match, where I popped the primer. I am going to back off the load I just had 10 I thought I had shot and didnt want to pull the bullets. But it still is a shame that the best load I ever found for the gun is too hot to shoot safely.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:36 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddybo View Post
The loads pretty hot .280rem. ...the range officer stood by me and would knock my empty cases out with a cleaning rod ...
That's pretty foolish. If you have cases that are sticking and need a cleaning rod to remove, you're way too hot!
That's an accident waiting to happen.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:58 AM
Platinum Member

Thank you sir, that is what I wanted to hear. I wanted someone to tell me I was stupid and that I should know better. You are absolutely correct.

This occured shooting a load that is under book max. 42.4gr varget under a 168. I have people tell me all the time that if a load is within book max it is safe. This load may be safe but a little on the warm side in cooler temps but at 90 plus I think I could pop a bunch of primers. When I shot the ten rounds Sunday I took them directly from a very cool area. If I had let them bake in the sun I suspect I would have needed the cleaning rod again. And this load uses one of the least temperature sensitive powders I know of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider View Post
That's pretty foolish. If you have cases that are sticking and need a cleaning rod to remove, you're way too hot!
That's an accident waiting to happen.