Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Hot Load?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 11:30 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Hot Load?

My 5R .308 will crater the primer on every load, factory or handload. I think it has a really strong firing pin spring, since it's a relatively new gun, and had less than 200 rounds through it. Every handload does it, and so does every factory loaded Hornady bullet I've put through it... So, any input on why a factory gun with factory ammo would be cratering primers, other than my theory?

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
My 5R .308 will crater the primer on every load, factory or handload. I think it has a really strong firing pin spring, since it's a relatively new gun, and had less than 200 rounds through it. Every handload does it, and so does every factory loaded Hornady bullet I've put through it... So, any input on why a factory gun with factory ammo would be cratering primers, other than my theory?
Some do some don't. My 7mag does the same as your 308, and I'm likely 1/2 through my 2nd barrel on it, the 22-250 does it as well but to a lesser degree, my 270 and 243 do not do that how ever.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 04-11-2013, 02:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
Some do some don't. My 7mag does the same as your 308, and I'm likely 1/2 through my 2nd barrel on it, the 22-250 does it as well but to a lesser degree, my 270 and 243 do not do that how ever.
So, nothing to worry about then, just a strong spring....That's good to know.

Thanks Joe. I've been curious about that for a while.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:12 PM
Platinum Member

Yes, some will crater primers due to an over sized pin bore. That is a given. But the OP's primer is flat all the way across and showing the beginning signs of a muffin topped primer as well. You can even see some tell tale signs of imprinting of the bolt face to the primer. That coupled with the shadow of the ejector pin bore and transferring of brass to it is where I came up with my conclusion. The pin strike cratering is only one indicator and not one I trust by it self.

Jeff
Old 04-11-2013, 04:29 PM

I have had excellent accuracy with hand loads that were most likely also hand grenades. I am talking really too hot. I also noticed on these loads that as I increased the powder charge the velocity change began to flatten or go negative. For example I would observe a 40-50 fps change for every one additional grain of powder in the normal range followed by a 5-15 fps change per grain of powder, followed by a drop in velocity with the next grain of powder. This happened twice. The first time was with a 340 weatherby and the second with a 7 mm Ultra. in both cases the accruacy was outstanding with the hottest load. As powder charge is increased, accuracy nodes are often observed. I had to back off on my powder charge to the last accuracy node.

Also my primers look like yours even from factory ammo. Brass flow is a good indicator of high pressure as is primer condition, bolt lift, and others. Stop when you see any high pressure indicator and back off. You did the right thing.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:41 PM
Silver Member

Well I went back to the bench this morning and loaded some more rounds and then went to the range. Found a good shooter at 4 grains less than the one I reported as hot. By the way the hot one was at the powder maker's MAX.
Now I feel comfortable and safe.
Thanks guys for all your input.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:46 PM
Silver Member

I am happy you could sort this out. Rather safe than not safe. The reason why we reload is to shoot buck, not to blow up ourselves. AND your rifle, cases etc would last much longer!