Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Hot Load?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 08:17 PM
Silver Member

Hot Load?

Would you continue to shoot this load? It is a max load. Note the small red arrow. The picture doesn't show it well, but there is a shiny extractor spot. It is not a bump, it is smooth. I am unsure if this is too much pressure because it shoots really well. The blot lifts easy and no other signs of high pressure. I measured the case above the case head and it is fine, no ring mark, etc. The target image is 3 shots at 100 yds.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:21 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Hot Load?

Starting to flatten primer face, cratered primer strike, and starting to transfer brass into the ejector pin. Looks a little hot to me. That load depending on what powder could be trouble in warmer temps. I say you need to back off 1 to 2 gr.

Jeff
Old 04-10-2013, 08:22 PM
Bronze Member

Primer looks cratered . I would back down a bit.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdaniels View Post
Would you continue to shoot this load? It is a max load. Note the small red arrow. The picture doesn't show it well, but there is a shiny extractor spot. It is not a bump, it is smooth. I am unsure if this is too much pressure because it shoots really well. The blot lifts easy and no other signs of high pressure. I measured the case above the case head and it is fine, no ring mark, etc. The target image is 3 shots at 100 yds.

It does appear to be on the warm side. The dimpled primer is another indicator as well. When you get shiny brass on the base, that is clearly brass flow, and is warning you to not go further, or faster. I would back it down a bit, to be on the safe side.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:57 PM
Silver Member

Thanks guys. That is why I asked. Well back to the reloading bench.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:59 PM
Platinum Member

Yep, she's warm; back her off a bit to be safe. 70 Kpsi will lift easy on a 7mmstw and has no brass flow. If I see any brass flow I back off until it stops or switch to a slower powder to get the speed without quite the peak pressure.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:10 AM
Silver Member

I do not see the so-called flat-hat-top on the primer and even the flow of the primer in the firing pin hole, is not all conclusive. My .222 Rem give me the primer flow even at minimum loads because of an over-size firing pin hole. Each rifle is not identical, but I agree with other forum members if you are at max load and you get one of the signs and there is no other explaination for it, then back off the load with at least 0.5gr or even 1.0 grain. One thing is that it is a very accurate load, but try making it safe. A rise in temperature can cause a blow-up. Do you keep records of your temperatures when you test your loads? If it was tested in cold temperature, downloading is a must!