Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Hornady SST Bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2006, 03:27 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Hornady SST Bullets

Remember, it's the first shot that counts! When you practice just load one at a time. When you hunt the second and following shots are usually at moving game, you'er excited and the tiny difference, if any, is insignificant. BTW, what is the difference in group size of the 'bunged up'tips over pristine ones? capt david [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-08-2006, 08:35 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Hornady SST Bullets

Hey Canada, hello from a fellow Canadian shooter. My experience with SST's involves my 7mm-08 with which the recoil is mild enough that it doesn't affect the tips. My other SST's are for my Savage model 16 in .270 WSM. Here the clip only allows two shells, again no problem. However, because my 7mm-08 is a Ruger Compact with a 16.5" barrel, I sacrifice substantial velocity. In order to compensate, I switched to Barnes Triple Shock "X" bullets, and instantly gained 200 fps by dropping 19 grains bullet weight. Take a look at the construction of this bullet on their website, it is basically a solid copper hollow point and may resolve your bullet end issues. Remember to drop 10 or 20 grains bullet weight when using these. Good luck.