Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Hornady or Sinclair concentricity guage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2010, 05:42 PM
Silver Member

Hornady or Sinclair concentricity guage

All I want for Christmas is a Concentricity gauge!!!!! WHich one should i get from Santa a Hornady or Sinclair? Thanks for any input
Old 12-14-2010, 07:35 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Hornady or Sinclair concentricity guage

I've used the Sinclair for the past 12 plus years. An excellent piece of precision equipment & I've found Sincair repair or replacement policy on there items to be exceptional.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:52 PM
Silver Member

I use the Sinclair and like it. I have never use the Hornady. What I like about Sinclair products, if you have a question there is someone available to answer your questions.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:45 AM
Gold Member

I know it cost more but what do you all think of the NECO gage?
Old 12-15-2010, 08:25 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonewest View Post
All I want for Christmas is a Concentricity gauge!!!!! WHich one should i get from Santa a Hornady or Sinclair? Thanks for any input

Still using the cheap one...RCBS CaseMaster.
I feel as long as the dial indicator is correct, any gauge is better then no gauge. Just wish the gauge had a way of correcting the run-out on the unit.

Tip:
When I seat the projectile, I use quarter turns and run the projectile back into the die(four step process). Noticed this reduces the run-out on most loaded rounds to right around 0.0003" to 0.0004"! Good enough for what I can get out of my rifles....

Scott
Old 12-15-2010, 10:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
I know it cost more but what do you all think of the NECO gage?
I have both the Sinclair and NECO gages, and there are some differences. Both run straight concentricity checks on cases and loaded ammo, but the NECO will also sort out cases for wall concentricity using a chord anvil. Used it a few times (the chord anvil feature), haven't found it to be that useful for most of my shooting, but to each his own. I'd recommend the Sinclair. It's less expensive, and IMHO, a better value for your money.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonewest View Post
I would buy neither one! Sinclair sells the Neco gauge, and this is the best I've seen commercially. You also need a good dial indicator (wand type of course). At least buy a Gem (brand name) in .001" readings. I use an Interrapid, but they're pretty expensive (.0005"). The Brown & Sharpe Best Test is also pretty good too. You really don't need a .0001" indicator for a case gauge, and avoid the more common gear & rack ones due to error built in them.
gary