Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Hornady OAL Guage ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2010, 08:59 AM
Silver Member

Hornady OAL Guage ?

Hello All,

I recently purchased an RCBS Precision Mic because I've been having issues getting a consistent measure with the Hornady OAL guage. The OAL tool that comes with the Mic is garbage so back to the Hornady OAL guage.

My issue isn't so much in it's use as it is getting the measurement from the tool. Here is what I'm talking about. Since I have the screw in piece of brass attached to the tool and there is a bullet in the brass, I cannot simply use a comparitor to get at the oal. So I have to measure from the back of the brass where there is a notch out in the tool to the tip of the bullet. Then use that exact bullet, because of variance in ogive to tip measures between bullets to figure out where to set the seater die. Only then can I get at the OAL, once the first cartridge is assembled. However, there is so much inherent error in the measurements that it's likely to be very wrong.

The problem is I cannot get a consistent measure of cartridge length using this method. I use my calipers, mitituyo's, to measure and each time I re-measure the Hornady case and bullet I get a different result. Within .01 but still not close enough for loading close to the lands.

To make matters worse once I go to load the first round with the exact bullet I used for measuring the chamber now there is the issue of placing the caliper in the exact orientation as it was in while it was on the Hornady OAL guage. Any variance there will result in error.

To anyone that understands what I'm going through, please let me know if you have a trick to make this a more precise proceedure.

Thanks

Tom
Old 03-04-2010, 10:33 AM
Gold Member

Re: Hornady OAL Guage ?

you also need the comparator device to take measurements from the ogive of your bullet.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Silver Member

I too have the OAL Guage and the comparator and for the life of me I can't seem to figure it out either, I know I am no rocket scientist here and I don't remember reading that you needed to be one to use it. With the comparator it says to put the traveling blade of your caliper and zero out your caliper, so when the comparator is in the caliper its at zero, then you put your bullet or your loaded round in and measure, but that only gives your the measurment from the base of the shell to the Ogive, that comes out way shorter then the OAL, which is 3.600 for my 300RUM. I am confused.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:19 PM
Silver Member

Freebird,

That does give you the oal as long as you have a comparitor attached to your caliper. The problem is it's impossible to measure accuratly and impossible to transfer that measure to another round given that your caliper is essentially at an angle when measured. So you'd have to be able to repeat that exact angle to measure oal.

This has been my argument the whole time.

Does anyone else have a solution to this problem?

Thanks

Tom
Old 03-04-2010, 01:37 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird63 View Post
I too have the OAL Guage and the comparator and for the life of me I can't seem to figure it out either, I know I am no rocket scientist here and I don't remember reading that you needed to be one to use it. With the comparator it says to put the traveling blade of your caliper and zero out your caliper, so when the comparator is in the caliper its at zero, then you put your bullet or your loaded round in and measure, but that only gives your the measurment from the base of the shell to the Ogive, that comes out way shorter then the OAL, which is 3.600 for my 300RUM. I am confused.
what measurement are you getting ?
Old 03-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Silver Member

Ok will try and put all this info down so its understandable.
Rifle-Remington Sendero 300 Ultra Mag
OAL-3.600
Bullets being used-Berger 185gr
Published OAL of Berger bullet-1.378
The lenght of bullet from my caliper-1.360
With Hornady OAL Gauge-3.824
With comparator on the OAL guage-3.140
With my caliper I have found that my magazine will only allow for a OAL of 3.610, after that it becomes a single shot rifle.
So with all these numbers can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong here???
I also know that with the RCBS dies and Lee dies the tips of my bullets were bottoming out in the seater therefore damaging the tips of the bullets. I have only found two dies companies that make a seater for VLD bullets and that is Redding and Forster.
Thank you in advance for any insight anyone can give me as to what I am doing wrong, I have followed the instructions to the best of my ability, I am just an old dumb scooby mule deer hunter.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Bronze Member

You aren't doing anything wrong, but you need to decide whether you want a repeater or to be set .010 off the lands. I've never measured a factory Remington that would allow both.

Also once you're measuring to the lands, you can pretty much forget OAL, it only tells you how much bullet is hanging out in front of the lands, your critical measurement is to the ogive.

Don't worry about getting perfect results with your comparator. Take 10 reading and see which number keeps popping up the most and figure that as your
"ogive OAL"

Your going to drive yourself nuts, if you are trying for the same exact number for each round, too many places where that could go wrong.