Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Hornady OAL gauge ????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2009, 10:59 AM
Platinum Member

Hornady OAL gauge ????

I went to SW over the wekend and picked up a Hornady OAL gauge they did not have a Remington 300 RUM dummy round in stock so when I got home I was reading the instructions that came with it and they said to send 2 pcs of fired brass to them and they could tap and thread it to fit the OAL gauge my question is have any of you guys tapped it yourself if so could you tell me what size tapp that I would need to pick up ? Thanks in advance.

Bigbuck
Old 12-28-2009, 11:23 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Hornady OAL gauge ????

It can be done but the thread specs are not common or easily available. Forget what it is but having Hornady do it would probably be cheeper than buying the tap.

Since the threads COULD just as easily be conventional I suspect they do that odd size to trap us into buying the silly things from them. I quite using it, went back to the old method of a marked (dowel) rod. It's just as accurate as the Hornady tool, actually easier to do and a dowel costs less than a buck.

I do use the "case headspace" tool tho, it works well.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:42 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtube View Post
It can be done but the thread specs are not common or easily available. Forget what it is but having Hornady do it would probably be cheeper than buying the tap.

Since the threads COULD just as easily be conventional I suspect they do that odd size to trap us into buying the silly things from them. I quite using it, went back to the old method of a marked (dowel) rod. It's just as accurate as the Hornady tool, actually easier to do and a dowel costs less than a buck.

I do use the "case headspace" tool tho, it works well.
I also bought the hornady comperator I believe that's what it's called? I hope I didn't blow $34.00 on the stoney point gauge.....

Bigbuck
Old 12-28-2009, 01:00 PM
Gold Member

tap is 5/16-36, easily done ,
(especiall in a lathe with collet chuck) and if you own the tap, you can make any size case you need. This pays for the tap in short order.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBULLET View Post
tap is 5/16-36, easily done ,
(especiall in a lathe with collet chuck) and if you own the tap, you can make any size case you need. This pays for the tap in short order.
Thanks just what I was looking for

Bigbuck
Old 12-28-2009, 01:38 PM
Platinum Member

I've had the cases from several wildcat cartridges tapped by Stoney Point when they originally designed and produced the tool. It is cheaper to just buy the modified cases from a mailorder house than it is to have Hornady tap one for you.

Midsouth Shooters Supply or Midway USA would be good places to look.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmint Hunter View Post
I've had the cases from several wildcat cartridges tapped by Stoney Point when they originally designed and produced the tool. It is cheaper to just buy the modified cases from a mailorder house than it is to have Hornady tap one for you.

Midsouth Shooters Supply or Midway USA would be good places to look.
I believe that the instructions said to send $11.00 to hornady and they would do it. I think it also mentioned that the case from my rifle would be better since it was fire formed from my exact chamber. What is your thoughts on this?