Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Hornady Concentricity Gauges?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2009, 10:05 PM

Re: Hornady Concentricity Gauges?

Like the idea of having others try it and report back to us.
And yes alcohol is one of thoughs things in life you need (like Guns)
But to the subject... So what I've been getting is that it is better to get a less expensive and just find the bullet runout and they try to currect it through your dies and such? Correct?
Old 03-13-2009, 10:50 PM
Silver Member

My 2 cents. Buy a good concentricity gauge. I have tried 3 and returned 2 (RCBS/Forster) only to stick with the Sinclair model. It is a cadillac and not that expensive. (100$) The only downside is that dings in your case may cause false runout, but they are easy to spot. Test runout at each important step and if it increases, take the necessary steps to correct it before you proceed. All my finished loads have no more than 0.001 bullet runout or its back to the drawing board. Certainly no need to "fix" this amount of runout.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:41 AM
Platinum Member

"The overall concensus seems to be to prevent runout and not "fix it"."

Your concensus aside, the question is, "How well does the tool work?"
Old 09-03-2010, 12:10 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtube View Post
"The overall concensus seems to be to prevent runout and not "fix it"."

Your concensus aside, the question is, "How well does the tool work?"
Runout is like a hangover..........preventable for sure......and there is never any shortage of morning after preachers & sermons............but that's not the subject of this thread.

OK.....I admit that I've been a bad boy & some of my hand loads have more than acceptable run out.

Does the Hornady tool fix runout? .............and if so to what degree?

Does the application of the tool to factory ammo pay off in tighter groups?

Is this thing an effective tool for the purposes claimed or a bright red door stop?
Old 09-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Platinum Member

I'll declare for you that ammo benders do not work to provide better shooting performance. They also do not work to reduce, or even affect -runout.

Take any loaded cartridge which has been taken to concentric on an ammo bender, and spin it on a Sinclair runout gauge. You will then see that the catridge is not straight, and still has plenty of runout to chamber.

Take any loaded cartridge that measures zero on a Sinclair runout gauge, and spin it on an ammo bender. You will then see that the cartridge is truly concentric as well.

The object of measurement is not to seek a lowest reading. It is to validate what you have.
nheninge is right

Last edited by Mikecr; 09-03-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:09 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
I'll declare for you that ammo benders do not work to provide better shooting performance. They also do not work to reduce, or even affect -runout.

Take any loaded cartridge which has been taken to concentric on an ammo bender, and spin it on a Sinclair runout gauge. You will then see that the catridge is not straight, and still has plenty of runout to chamber.

Take any loaded cartridge that measures zero on a Sinclair runout gauge, and spin it on an ammo bender. You will then see that the cartridge is truly concentric as well.

The object of measurement is not to seek a lowest reading. It is to validate what you have.
nheninge is right
It's all declarations, theory & conjecture until the ruler is on the target paper measuring the groups.

I'm going to let the target paper be the presiding judge in this trial.

If, all other things being equal, I see improvement then I've bought a worthwhile product.

If I've been sold a gimmick it won't be the first or likely the last time.

Opinions are a dime a dozen..........let's hear some field reports by shooters who have actually tried the tool & have or haven't noticed improvements in the performance of their hand loaded &/or factory ammo.

Last edited by pricedo; 09-03-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:57 AM
Platinum Member

Had a Bersin tool and got rid of it. Just a gimmick and I have serious doubts the Hornady is better. On another forum, there was a report that Tony Boyer opined you cannot bend one neck and re-use it thereafter, as it will continue to throw that shot from the remainder of your group. I don't know if this is true, but why take a chance. As others have said, you can reduce runout with your dies and careful neck turning. That is the way to go.