Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Hornady .338 lapua brass issues?!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 09:27 PM
Silver Member

Hornady .338 lapua brass issues?!

Hey guys. Im wondering if there is anybody out there who has a savage 110fcp in .338 lapua and has tried using hornady brass or hornady loaded ammunition. I recently bought this rifle and picked up a box of hornady 250 HPBT loaded ammo with the gun. when i got to the range to try the bad boy out my first shot the brass stuck in the chamber to the point i had to stand it up and give the bolt a good pop to release it. at first i thought well maybe i didnt get the packing grease out of the chamber completely so i scrubbed it right there and to my suprise it was clean so i thought well ok fluke then. my next 5 shots all did the same thing even though my group was approaching tiny i wasnt to happy and packed up. i then called savage and they said they had similar issues using hornady brass and switched to the black hills ammo. ive switched to norma brass and had great results. i guess my question is has somebody else had experiences like this? if so is it just an issue with savages as i see plenty of .338 rifle reviews being done using the hornady ammo and havent heard a word anywhere besides savage. Any thoughts, comments, advice, BS is welcomed. Thanks in advance!

One more thing if this is a case of hornady brass being to soft have they addressed the issue or could my cases possibly have hardened from the first firing to the point that a reload with them would not do this?
Old 08-29-2012, 10:04 PM

Re: Hornady .338 lapua brass issues?!

I have a Savage 111 LRH that did the same thing with Hornady brass. After about 20 rounds through the gun it quit. I think it is a case of not so good brass. I have some Lapua on the way so we'll see. I had the same thing happen with a 700 300 RUM about ten years ago, it never got better. Remington wanted the for 6 months, no way... I took it to my gunsmith and had him polish the chamber. Worked fine after that. I'd shoot the Savage a handful more times and go from there.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:29 AM

I've had the same issue with my SA 110 BA in 338, as it turns out the Hornaday 338 LM cases are expanding 1.7 to 2 thou and are loaded really hot as the primers are flattening out also. So i also went to my local Gunsmith and had the chamber polished and seems to be working better now..
Old 08-31-2012, 03:58 PM
Silver Member

How much did it cost you to get the polishing done? I chronographed the factory stuff and was surprised I got very little velocity variation and my first shot was 2861 which was 1fps faster than stated so it wasnt hot in my rifle as I also saw no pressure signs. I wonder if Hornady has addresses this or if they even plan to?
Old 08-31-2012, 04:08 PM

I received my Lapua brass yesterday. I prepped 20 rounds and loaded them. They took almost no prepping, they were ready to go. I couldn't believe how nice it was to work compared to the Hornady and Remington I've been using. The Lapua went through my sizing die like nothing. You ought to give it a try. It's expensive, but well worth it in my opinion. No more Hornady for me..
Old 08-31-2012, 04:53 PM
Platinum Member

I saw a guy a few weeks ago at the range having the same issues with his savage. He told me they had polished his chamber, but was still having problems every now and then. He never said the brass may be the issue, he thought it was his rifle. I hope he's on this site.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Academy View Post
I saw a guy a few weeks ago at the range having the same issues with his savage. He told me they had polished his chamber, but was still having problems every now and then. He never said the brass may be the issue, he thought it was his rifle. I hope he's on this site.
I talked with both Savage Arms and Hornady and one say's this and the other say's that, so who do you believe..

Hornaday say's it's the Gun as the chamber is not polished Savage is saying it's the ammo and Hornaday is aware of the problem with these gun's and there ammo and there resizing as we speak is what i was told?? I did have the chamber polished and i do believe it is getting better with each shot we'll find out tomorrow..