Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Hornaday Concentricity Gauge Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2014, 10:46 AM
Silver Member

Hornaday Concentricity Gauge Reviews

I am thinking of using the Hornaday concentricity gauge that is advertised to "fix" bullet run out. Does this device work as advertised? Has anyone noticed any accuracy or velocity issues with rounds that have had their concentricity "fixed" as compared to those that did not require it?
Old 02-19-2014, 04:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Hornaday Concentricity Gauge Reviews

The best way to fix runout is to use dies and techniques that produce concentric case necks and seated bullets. When you start trying to manipulate loaded rounds, you are probably creating more problems than you are solving.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 02-19-2014, 04:37 PM
Gold Member

ok unit. I use it to check run out and amount. THEN find out WHY, and correct the problem
Old 02-19-2014, 08:18 PM
Silver Member

Yes.......in a perfect world with perfect brass and perfect techniques and perfect dies, there would never be bullet run out.

But in the real world there is from time to time. So my question is, has anyone who has actually used the Hornaday device to correct bullet run out observed any difference in ballistic performance as a result?
Old 02-19-2014, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member

My hunting bud has unit and I have used it. If I take ammo that he checked as .002 on my sinclair it may read .004. My sinclair read more accurate always. I have adjusted run out with various holes drilled in bench and treaked bullet with same success as hornady. But on my unit when it hits .005 results are hard to get, so now rather than waste my time, mark with sharpie and are rock buster rounds
Old 02-19-2014, 10:45 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBULLET View Post
ok unit. I use it to check run out and amount. THEN find out WHY, and correct the problem
Maybe that should be my approach. I just bought one & no doubt I am doing something wrong. I can measure it fine, but have not been able to change the runout of measured rounds.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:30 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCMAG2 View Post
Yes.......in a perfect world with perfect brass and perfect techniques and perfect dies, there would never be bullet run out.

But in the real world there is from time to time. So my question is, has anyone who has actually used the Hornaday device to correct bullet run out observed any difference in ballistic performance as a result?
yes, you can use the little screw to eliminate run out. any difference in "ballisitc" performance, no. accuracy, "some". best use of the tool is to find out WHAT to change to eliminate problem at the source.