Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Horizontal stringing in .243

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2011, 06:41 PM
Gold Member

Horizontal stringing in .243

Hey guys. Just wanting to run a question by yall. I have a .243 chambered Remington 700 with a cheap scope on it. I took it to the range today just to see how it shot. I was using factory Remington (cheap Wal-Mart ammo) 100gr. As I shot my ten shot group the shots would hit further to the right. Vertical wasn't too bad, (about an inch vertical at 101 yds). I really couldn't ask for a whole lot better than that with this gun/scope combo. But the horizontal would travel back and forth for a spread of 3+ inches!!! This is not my long range gun by any means. In fact, it is my son's rifle that I hope to get him deer hunting with this fall. My first thought is the scope rings/bases are loose, but do you fellas have any other ideas as to what is causing my problem? Thanks in advance.
Steve

Here's a pic of this hideous group.

DSC_000119-27-58.jpg picture by screamin_chief - Photobucket

Last edited by CRNA; 06-23-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:32 PM
Silver Member

Re: Horizontal stringing in .243

First, I would try to tourque your action screws a little differently. Try, getting the top action screw about 3/4 hand tight and then torqing the rear screw 1/2 tight. Then tighten the front screw all the way down and leave the rear screw alone. This was the only way my Rem 257 wea would shoot consistent. If that doesn't work try different ammo, probably something in the 85 grain range. I say this because when I am working a load, allot of times I will see horizonal stringing in my lower powder charge groups. The faster I push them, the more they tighten up usually.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:32 PM
Silver Member

What does it do if you shoot 3 3 shot groups waiting 10 minutes between groups?
Old 06-24-2011, 05:40 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by learning View Post
What does it do if you shoot 3 3 shot groups waiting 10 minutes between groups?
I don't know. Never tried it. You thinking the barrel getting too hot?
Old 06-24-2011, 06:15 PM
Bronze Member

I've never used a torque wrench on my guns, ever.. maybe I have a calibrated elbow... who knows... tight is tight... anyways I shoot very well with all my rifles and haven't seen this issue, my guess would be barrel heating up, do you have a sporter barrel or bull barrel? try a barrel de-resonator. Also what is the poundage on your trigger, are you right handed? Are you shooting with your 1st knuckle and not the pad of your finger tip?
Old 06-24-2011, 07:31 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-RAD View Post
I've never used a torque wrench on my guns, ever.. maybe I have a calibrated elbow... who knows... tight is tight... anyways I shoot very well with all my rifles and haven't seen this issue, my guess would be barrel heating up, do you have a sporter barrel or bull barrel? try a barrel de-resonator. Also what is the poundage on your trigger, are you right handed? Are you shooting with your 1st knuckle and not the pad of your finger tip?
The barrel could be heating up, but the majority of the lateral spread occurred within the first three shots. I would be surprised if the barrel was really getting hot enough in three shots to cause such drastic changes. It is a sporter barrel, so I expect it to get hotter quicker, but just doesn't seem to be a likely cause. The trigger pull is whatever it is set at from the factory. And I always shoot with the pad of my finger and not the first joint.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:34 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRNA View Post
The barrel could be heating up, but the majority of the lateral spread occurred within the first three shots. I would be surprised if the barrel was really getting hot enough in three shots to cause such drastic changes. It is a sporter barrel, so I expect it to get hotter quicker, but just doesn't seem to be a likely cause. The trigger pull is whatever it is set at from the factory. And I always shoot with the pad of my finger and not the first joint.

Ok do some trigger work and try a barrel de-resonator, also is it floated, if not float it yourself it's easy.

I've shot a gun just like yours and the best thing was to literally shoot 3-5 shots in fast succession into the ground and then shoot your groups.