Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Hoover Meplat Timmer and Pointing Die System .338 Lapua

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 11:51 AM
Bronze Member

Hoover Meplat Timmer and Pointing Die System .338 Lapua

Gentleman,

Lookin for some advice here on Hoover's Meplat trimmer and pointing die system for a .338 lapua. I have researched these trimmers and pointing dies and want first hand experience. I currently run 300 grain SMK's and they all vary with meplats and I am wondering how this effects my groups. I know if you trim the meplats you lose some BC because the meplat gets wider at the tip, but then they make the pointing system which takes the bullet to a point. The trimmer is around $125.00 and the pointing system is $250.00. For this investment will it really make that much of a difference? That is a lot of coin to put up and I woudl hope to see results on paper. I have only been shooting the .338 for the past 2-3 months and have taken it out to 400 yards thus far with good results 0.50 MOA consistently and am about to apply for membership at a 1,000 yard range where the trimmer and pointing die will probably have better results the further out I go.

I am mainly wondering at what range will the trimmer and pointing system start to show superior and what real world increase in accuracy at what yardage have users experienced?

Also, instead of dropping $375.00 for both, would one or the other suffice and what accuracy could one expect just using one at a specified yardage over not perfoming this function to the bullet at all?
Old 04-19-2013, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Hoover Meplat Timmer and Pointing Die System .338 Lapua

I don't think anyone gets consistant .5 MOA groups with any rifle. They all vary over a range. If that's what your average is with a .338 Lap Mag and the biggest is no more than 3/4 MOA, you don't need to do anything with your bullets except shoot them.

Changing meplats does not improve longer range accuracy over short range performance. After all, doesn't the meplat stay the same on the bullet throughout its flight to the target?
Old 04-20-2013, 01:10 AM
Gold Member

I have read some good reviews on uniforming meplats. The re-pointing is lost on me unless you are shooting competitive. Re-pointing the bullet is very detrimental to a hunting bullet and getting it to expand.

If you are careful in your trimming, you only lose about 2% of the total BC. Not enough to even worry about. Rather than spend over $300+, why not get the uniformer from Montour County for $85 + S/H and call it good?
Old 04-20-2013, 03:10 AM
Platinum Member

Note the ogive shape across a box of bullets is also not absolutely perfect. If one measures (with precision tools) the distance from the bullet base to a given diameter on the ogive, there'll be .001" or more spread in the readings.

There's also the unbalance issue. Maybe 2 or 3 bullets out of 100 will be perfectly balanced. All the others' differences in jacket thickness, core and jacket metalurgy as well as the core's actual shape are the cause. Spinning them at 30,000 to 40,000 rpm and measuring the centrifugal forces their out of balance causes lets you separate the perfect ones from the others. Tests with perfectly balanced bullets show they will shave 1/4 MOA or more off long range groups.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:18 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
I don't think anyone gets consistant .5 MOA groups with any rifle. They all vary over a range. If that's what your average is with a .338 Lap Mag and the biggest is no more than 3/4 MOA, you don't need to do anything with your bullets except shoot them.

Changing meplats does not improve longer range accuracy over short range performance. After all, doesn't the meplat stay the same on the bullet throughout its flight to the target?
Speak for your self..

Old 04-23-2013, 08:28 AM
Gold Member

Arbogb06

In addition to neck turning I have added meplat trimming and pointing.

Yes MY firearm and ammo are capable of sub 1/2 moa every day. Me, well we all have good days and bad days.

Meplat trimming contributes to consistency of POI. Pointing restores/improves the BC. I don't have good numbers yet but that's not important, consistent POI is.

Projectile weight and balance are in there too.

It is my belief that Bart B has a different standard for accuracy than I do. Perhaps: Hunting accuracy vs. Precision/Tactical accuracy.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfseaman View Post
Yes MY firearm and ammo are capable of sub 1/2 moa every day. Me, well we all have good days and bad days.
So is every other rifle on this planet. The groups are all zero MOA at the muzzle.

Quote:
Meplat trimming contributes to consistency of POI. Pointing restores/improves the BC. I don't have good numbers yet but that's not important, consistent POI is.

Projectile weight and balance are in there too.
I don't quite understand how removing metal from a meplat making its shape less pointed/aerodymamic will improve a bullet's BC. Please explain.

The second sentence carries the most weight of these two, in my opinion. Few folks are aware of the spread in BC caused by bullet imbalance. And the faster bullets spin leaving the muzzle, the more they will jump off the bore axis upon exit. From what I've been able to glean from the bullet makers is, bullet imbalance has a larger effect on accuracy than meplat shape or size variables. One, maybe two, folks I know of have measured bullet balance at high rpm rates and set aside only the perfectly balanced ones then tested them for accuracy compared to the rest that ain't so perfectly balanced. Results have been amazing.