Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Honing Die Necks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2009, 10:18 AM
Platinum Member

Honing Die Necks

Does anyone have advise on what tools and procedure would be used to hone the necks on various factory sizing dies?

Thanks
Old 04-21-2009, 01:26 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Honing Die Necks

Most of the time the factory will do it for a small charge. I do not think I would try this at home.

Jim Carstenson, JLC Precision (go to www.6mmbr.com and look under "Tools") will convert your die to bushings for around $50. Normally less than two week turnaround and top quality job.

He will also custom make a die from a Redding body bump die ($25). Send him 10 cases fired 2-3X and around $80. It will be custom honed to your chamber, FL size with neck bushings.

BH
Old 04-21-2009, 02:05 PM
Platinum Member

I seen your other post with the link to Jim which is what made me think of it, that and I finally got my Forester die with a neck to my specifications.....which only took 6 months and 2 tries.

Any idea if Jim will do just a hone? I don't really need a bushing die when I could have a couple thousandths taken out of my existing die and have it perfect.

Ultimately I was hoping for some ideas on how to do this myself. I realize Forester will do this procedure for like $8 but the rest of my dies are manufacturers other than Forester.

Thanks though,

I think I'm going to take a stab at it. Drill rods and lapping compound here we come.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member

call or email him. I have always found him reasonable. contact info on 6mbr

BH
Old 04-21-2009, 08:17 PM
Gold Member

Why not outside neck turn your brass so that you can get the bullet grip you want by using your FL die sans expander without honing it out. It would seem easier to to take brass off the outside of the neck than it would be to take hardened steel off the inside of the neck in your die.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Why not outside neck turn your brass so that you can get the bullet grip you want by using your FL die sans expander without honing it out.
Because I want to get rid of the expander. If I want something expanded I'll use an expander die. If you've never used a FL die with the proper neck diameter less the expander ball, your missing out.

Quote:
It would seem easier to to take brass off the outside of the neck than it would be to take hardened steel off the inside of the neck in your die.
You sure would think so.... I'd be willing to bet that I can have that die honed out faster than I could turn 100 necks considering that I don't have the tooling and or the know how. On a side note those 100 turned necks are only going to last so long and then I'd be doing them again (new ones of course), surely the die wold be a better investment in the long run....wouldn't you think?
Old 04-21-2009, 09:05 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagMan View Post
Because I want to get rid of the expander. If I want something expanded I'll use an expander die. If you've never used a FL die with the proper neck diameter less the expander ball, your missing out.

That's what I meant. Outside neck turn and just size with the FL die after removing the expander (sans expander). Most of the FL dies I have measured allow you to take a case with ~.012" neck thickness and size (without the expander) and it will give you ~.003" bullet grip. All of the FL dies I have tested have very good concentricity.

Personally I don't mind outside neck turning and it only needs to be done once. It will have added benefits. If you hone a die out and size with it, it will push all the inconsistancies in neck thickness to the inside of the neck unless you have neck turned to a consistant neck thickness. IME inconsistant neck diameters on the inside lead to runout and inconsistant bullet grip.

But hone away, let us know how it turns out.