Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

High volume OUTSIDE case neck cleaning?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 05:49 PM
Silver Member

High volume OUTSIDE case neck cleaning?

Just wondering if anyone has found a high volume way to clean...THE CARBON BUILD UP OFF THE OUTSIDE....of case necks. I'm not worried about any other part of the case for this topic.

In regards to high volume cases I am talking 500-1000 .223, 500 .308, 2-300 300 RUM, etc.

I have tried everything from ISSO cleaner, Soap and Water, 10 hrs in vibratory cleaner, Vinegar and Water, steel wool, etc. The only ways I have found take forever for high volumes. I have looked at Sonic cleaners, but they actually only clean small amounts at a time.

The fastest way I have found that actually removes all the carbon is just using a brass cleaner/rag on every single case neck.

Open to any ideas guys are using to quickly do this.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:41 AM
Gold Member

Re: High volume OUTSIDE case neck cleaning?

they make big sonic cleaners.. for high volume proccess like you want t do.. my hornady does 75 lapua mag brass at one time.. sonic cleaner is the way to go it will clean everything.. my case mouths are clean everytime with the sonic style cleaner

kasey
Old 01-07-2013, 05:36 PM
Silver Member

Kasey, I looked at those closer and googled some info on them.
the Lyman looks like a decent sized unit. Why are they de-capping before sizing and cleaning? What happens if you don't de-prime before cleaning. I like to clean, resize, clean again, then load. How many cases does the solution generally clean.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:01 PM
Silver Member

The reason why the decapping process is done before they are put in the sonic cleaner is to clean the primer pockets. You can do the process you do now( size, recap, trim, etc.) before putting them in the sonic cleaner. I do. When doing case prep first then sonic cleaner, you can get the cases clean inside and outside. That includes getting the case lube off the brass. I have even ran them through the vibratory tumbler before sizing and the sonic cleaner. But I just go ahead and lube, resize, the whole works before I clean them in the cleaner. Just make sure they are completely dry before loading.

Jason
Old 01-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Gold Member

+1 for chuck.. I clean then resize then clean again.. I wipe down my cases before they go into the cleaner though.. I do not like to have wax in the solution.I stand the cases up when drying aswell.. I love the sonic clean.. my bullets seat better and overall accuracy does inprove in my opinion.. just my 2 cents though.. that sonic cleaner lyman makes it huge.. hold 1.5 gallons of water so you should be able to do you 500 rounds of 223 I would think no prob

kasey
Old 01-08-2013, 04:39 PM
Silver Member

Thanks, If I could buy one now I would. If I could get by without buying guns, brass, bullets, and everything else I need maybe I could. LOL Guess I will still have sore fingers for a while.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:50 PM
Platinum Member

Reelamin, I like to remove this carbon before neck sizing also. My stainless media tumbler will do it with ease, but I also have wondered about using a carbon cleaning liquid and dipping them. I thought of trying "Power Service" diesel fuel conditioner. I know it is very good at removing carbon. But this would probably require a full cleaning of the brass as well. Haven't tried it but just thought I would share the "food for thought"

Jeff