Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

High extreme spread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 09:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: High extreme spread

Forester dies or Redding comp dies, rcbs hand primer is fine, try for .004" below flush.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:40 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Scott View Post

seating depth doesnt seem to effect ES, or accuracy
IME seating depth does have an effect on ES and SD. My question would be, how much did you vary your seating depth between loads?

For example, in my 6.5 rem mag (26" Douglas barrel tight necked) I did a seating depth test with 130 gr SSII's starting at .015" off and varied by .015" to .090" and it gave the following results

.015" off - ES 31, SD 11.67
.030" off - ES 31, SD 11.70
.045" off - ES 23, SD 9.80
.060" off - ES 8, SD 4.00
.075" off - ES 27, SD 11.40
.090" off - ES 52, SD 31.70

So seating depth can make a huge difference in ES & SD. Most just don't like to seat that far off the lands, hence my question as to how much you varied between seating depth loads
Old 09-16-2013, 10:35 PM
Bronze Member

I have seated from5 thous off to 25 thous off, no real changes in accuracy, at least short range, didnt go as far off as you suggest, but will give it a try

thanks
Old 09-16-2013, 10:36 PM
Platinum Member

Have you been keeping up with throat erosion? My 284 win has .010" of erosion in just over 400 rounds.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 09-16-2013, 10:49 PM
Bronze Member

yes, I've been noticing how my actual chamber measurement has increased a few thous, I have about 1400 down the tube now, which leads me to another question, as the throat erodes and the bullet is seated farther out , to match the lands, will this cause a sig change in pressure as there is more volume in the case ? any thoughts ?

thanks Scott
Old 09-17-2013, 12:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoods83 View Post
Didn't see you mention what kind of brass you are using, I have loaded 400 rounds of 260rem, 200 for 2 different friends, they bought lapua, lapua is good brass but these 400 happen to be the worst lapua brass I have ever loaded, the neck tension and thickness was so uneven I wanted to trash them. When I load them again I will turn a couple thousandths off the necks and use a .292 bushing after annealing. I hope this isn't your case, its a pita! One more side note is that the Nosler custom comp bullets tend to shoot very well out to 600yrds but the meplats are horrible and the bearing surface length can vary almost .040" in 1 100ct box. And as Roy said, take a little copper outta the barrel!
I also bought 200 Lapua cases in 260 Rem about a year ago and had similar issues, two different lots. Resizing difficulty, erratic accuracy, etc. I bought some Norma brass an all was fine. I have had great results with Lapua brass in my other rifles but ended up trashing the Lapua 260 brass and haven't used it again.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 09-17-2013, 12:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Scott View Post
yes, I've been noticing how my actual chamber measurement has increased a few thous, I have about 1400 down the tube now, which leads me to another question, as the throat erodes and the bullet is seated farther out , to match the lands, will this cause a sig change in pressure as there is more volume in the case ? any thoughts ?

thanks Scott
A couple of questions. With 1400 rounds through the rifle, did the ES issues develop recently? If results were originally OK, did you change any components, or use a new lot of powder, bullets, or brass?

Generally, you shouldn't see much, if any change with only a few thousandths of wear, particularly with standard shaped bullets. It doesn't seem like this should be your issue, but barrels can wear out prematurely. 1400 rounds isn't a lot for a 260, bit I had a 308 go bad at 2000 rounds which was not typical.

The Magnetospeed can change accuracy, POI, or both. Some rifles are unaffected at all. It depends on your specific barrel's harmonics when the MS is attached to the barrel. It is critical that the barrel straps are secure and the unit does not move at all when fired. Using a piece of rubber, or the additional rubber pad on top of the barrel,
under the strap secures it well. I don't measure groups, or zero when using the MS. Even with this inconvenience, I still think it's a superb unit for accurately measuring velocity and ES.IMO

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt