Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Helping a beginner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 10:59 AM
Bronze Member

Helping a beginner

Hey guys, I'm planning on starting to reload within the next 6 months and was wondering what book or manual you guys would suggest to start with. I'm looking for something that will lay out the process. Any help would be great
Old 03-10-2013, 06:06 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Helping a beginner

I would get two manuals. I like Lyman as it has a lot of diifferent powder and bullet manufacturers represented. For the second I would point you toward whichever bullet manufacturer you plan to use most. Having two will give you two different references for both the process and load data. When you get to making loads the powder and bullet mfgs also have good data on their websites.

Are you planning to load single stage or progressive? Are you trying to save $, increase precision, or just avoid ammo shortages? What you are trying to do will influence your set-up and your process.

Let us know and I'm sure you'll get some useful feedback.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:58 PM
Bronze Member

I just want to increase precision as I have a 300 wsm that is a little picky about what it likes. More than likely I would go with the single stage because it would make me slow down and be more careful. I understand the need for the loading manuals but do they lay out the process or just give load data? If it matters any I would be hand loading for a 300wsm, 7mm-08 and a .270.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Platinum Member

Im now using a Nosler manual because it covers so many calibers...BUT for years I never used any manual but gathered data for THE caliber I was reloading. The internet is a good place to pick up such data...such as going here.....
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
and choosing the info you like.
You can also buy single caliber load books from say Midway...etc for many different calibers.

If you have questions on procedure...try YouTube. They have many many videos there showing all sorts of reloading "tricks".

Good luck on the reloading too!
Old 03-10-2013, 07:22 PM
Silver Member

Hand Loading for Long Range 1: Brass Prep
this site helped me out.
Also read every Manuel you can get your hands on and also there are plenty of videos you can search for on reloading and advanced reloading
Old 03-10-2013, 09:23 PM
Platinum Member

"Any shot you want" by A-Square/Art Halphin.

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 03-11-2013, 12:58 AM

The Lyman reloading manual has both data and lays out all of the steps quite well. Modern Reloading by Lee also has lots of load data but the first half of the book goes over a lot of the basics. Both also cover safety which is important. Those are the two in my modest collection that seem to be the best for instruction.