Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Help! Is there a small hydraulic reloading press?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2007, 09:50 AM
Bronze Member

Help! Is there a small hydraulic reloading press?

My carpal tunnel is so bad that I am looking for a small hydraulic press setup to load rifle ammo for pdogs. Even a design idea would help. Just neck-sizing and seating bullets.
Any ideas anybody? Thanks for the help, in advance! Bob
706-568-7619 radler@mchsi.com
Old 05-17-2007, 09:59 AM
Gold Member

Re: Help! Is there a small hydraulic reloading press?

[ QUOTE ]
My carpal tunnel is so bad that I am looking for a small hydraulic press setup to load rifle ammo for pdogs. Even a design idea would help. Just neck-sizing and seating bullets.
Any ideas anybody? Thanks for the help, in advance! Bob
706-568-7619 radler@mchsi.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Corbin makes a single stage hydraulic press in the $3,000 - $3,500 range.

I have seen (but don't know who makes it) a hydraulic unit for the Dillon 1050 press. Dillon can probably tell you makes it.

And there are hydraulic units for the Ponness Warren presses that could easily be adapted to a Dillon.

The press would have to have the joint of the arm above table top level, so the common presses like Rockchucker, etc, won't work well without an awful amount of work.

If it's for PDs, then the Dillon 1050 w/hydraulic would be ideal - 1,200 rounds an hour. You might just be able to keep up with the targets [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

LRH member #23
Old 05-17-2007, 05:59 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks, Catshooter. Wrote Dillon, might hear tomorrow. Guess I need to significantly increase my supply of brass, primers, etc. to keep up with the Dillon!! Regards, Bob
Old 05-18-2007, 12:54 PM
Silver Member

Could something be adapted to your current press that would move the arm for you; maybe something electric. I am thinking an electric motor attached to the arm of the press and push a button to move the arm. I'm not very good at explaining my idea but I guess it would be something like an AC windshield wiper. Maybe one of the engineers on here could wade in on this.

Good luck!!! I had carpel tunnel pretty bad a few years ago, had the surgery for each hand and now I am MUCH better. SOmething worth considering.

Again, good luck.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

I would not attempt to motorize the arm on your press. I'm afraid you would pinch the end of a finger off the first time you tried it. You don't want your fingers anywhere near anything like that when it's moving.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:19 PM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
I would not attempt to motorize the arm on your press. I'm afraid you would pinch the end of a finger off the first time you tried it. You don't want your fingers anywhere near anything like that when it's moving.

[/ QUOTE ]

Presses that are hydraulically operated require the switch to be operated with hands out of the press - it is impossible to get your fingers caught.

LRH member #23
Old 05-22-2007, 04:53 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the ideas--on the carpal tunnel, IF you don't change what you do that caused the problem, you will have it again. I had a 2nd surgery on my right hand that did not work and will not get the left hand done(primary). Long story and not very "inspiring"-sorry. Yes, I did think about my fingers and loading 45-70 and such, even 44mag got me a few times. Bob