Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

help with rechambering 7mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2013, 08:44 AM
Banned

help with rechambering 7mm

Was wondering if anyone can help me out.. I am getting this remy 700 bdl a new barrel in heavy class 30 inch muzzel brake ported out the sides only.
My question is what COL should I tell my gunsmith ?? Not sure what would work great.
Either from ogive or tip of bullet.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:22 AM
Platinum Member

Re: help with rechambering 7mm

Simple answer is, they need to know base to ogive length to cut the throat. The real question is, which 7mm cartride are you going to use, with the STW and RUM the freebore would have to be less than .080" for bergers to touch the lands and still fit in the magazine, with the 7mm rem mag .125-.145" is plenty, as would be for the 7mm wby mag, but out of the 4 I mentioned the 7mm rem mag would be the only one safe for factory, all others with there higher pressures and/or case capacity need .200" freebore to keep it safe for factory loads, just in case you get in a bind and have to use some.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:16 PM
Banned

Read your post,
I will be using 162 gr amax and 168 berger or match king 168gr with 65.1 gr of rl-22. Cci 250 mag primer federal cartridge
Old 09-14-2013, 05:46 AM
Platinum Member

Why not order a reamer? You can seat the bullet you intend to shoot so it fits and feeds in YOUR magazine. Then give Dave Kiff a call at Pacific tool and gauge to discuss the reamer's specifications. Send in your dummy round so they can reference it. The end result will be exactly what you want and need. You can always sell the reamer afterwards, or you could save it for the next barrel.