Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Help with norma brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2008, 09:01 PM
Bronze Member

Help with norma brass

I am having a rifle built and trying to have everything I can ready for when it comes in. I have baught some Norma brass and was wondering what are all the things that need to be done to prepare the cases. I have never used Norma brass before so was just wondering what was neccessary to prep it. By the way they are 300 wsm.

Thanks for any info.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:11 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Help with norma brass

If you chamber isn't a tight neck I would sort by weight.Run them through a die to make sure the necks are round.Load and shoot...I have done very well in 1000 yard BR with a 300wsm using this method
Old 12-22-2008, 12:07 PM
Silver Member

tx,

Here is what I do with any new brass I get in.

Inspect - case / measure neck thickness / check primer pocket roundness
Weigh -
Run through sizer die -
Neck down to spec -
Re-weigh -
Separate by weight & load
Re-weigh again & Separate
Test
Document all data!!!!!

Hope this helps. Bill

NRA life Member

US Army 79 - 85, 368th Combat Battalion, Sarget Spec-5, Combat Engineer

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:19 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks for your help and I will try the things mentioned. Any info given is appreciated as this is my first try as a true longrange set up. I still have a few months before I get my new rig. So any and all help given will be put to good use.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:51 AM
Gold Member

TX Hunter. It sounds like you are making some good choices in components. I shoot an accurized 300 WM that still wears the Remington factory barrel. The inconsistency in some of the brass I used drove me crazy. Last year, I switched to Norma brass and it was a night and day difference.

One thing I read about new brass was to round up the mouths and measure them for uniformity. The closer the uniformity, the better. Some of the cheaper brass varied in case mouth thickness by .004 to .005. The Norma was for the most part .001-.002 in uniformity. I kept all of these and threw out anything that was .003 or larger. But, with 145 pieces of brass, I only threw out 5 of them. I think that says a lot for their brass. Sinclair makes a good tool to measure this for about $70.

I am pretty new to the long range scene myself. My goal this year was to shoot 700 yds. However, with a lot of reading, Shawn Carlocks video, and some time on this website, I am hitting 1025 yds consistently. That's on a calm day anyway. I still have a lot of work to do with reading the wind and some other variables.

A couple things I would recommend is the above mentioned video, a good ballistic program (I use exbal), and a book titled Handloading for competition by Glen Zedicker.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Old 12-27-2008, 01:09 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for all the great info. and I will be looking into getting that video and book.

Waiting for my rifle to be built is torture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!