Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Help newbe select a reloading press.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2006, 08:22 AM
Silver Member

Re: Help newbe select a reloading press.

I like the Classic Cast. I like it better than the RCBS actually. The other Lee presses aren't the greatest by any means but, they've put out a pretty nice single stage w/ the new CC.

Get the Lee and have extra $ to get some other components as well.

Reloader
Old 09-27-2006, 02:03 PM
Bronze Member

Rockchucker!!! But, then again I'm very fond of the Redding Ultramag also.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:16 PM
Bronze Member

I have a RCBS RS 2. I purchased it back in the 60s. It's been a heck of a good press. A few years ago I purchased a Partner press so I could set up my seating die and not have to switch dies when I went from sizing to seating. Know what I know now, I'd buy the Partner press and not the larger press. It does the job just as easy. And yes, I have sized with it. A big press is kind of like having a 600 horse motor in a car driven in a town like NYC. Nice to have, but not really necessary.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:54 PM
Silver Member

If you will be loading large cases, Rockchucker Supreme.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:14 PM

I started reloading with a Lee reloading kit (challenger press) and although it's not the greatest press, I managed to put together some good loads. I have recently upgraded to the Lee Classic press and like it.

Get the Lee Classic, you can always upgrade later, or have a press to dedicate to one operation.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:40 AM
Silver Member

A few years back, someone gave me a lee press. I was going to sell it and just for grins, I thought that I would try it out. The acid test for all presses is full length sizing large cases, especially cases that have been fired in an auto down to a min spec chamber. I picked up some 7 Mag brass off the range and tried to resize the brass on the Lee press. I got about 10 cases sized with great effort and then the handle broke on the Lee press...total loss.

If you are going to get into reloading, I would suggest that you buy a good top end press a RCBS Rockchucker, or a Redding, sorry to say that I have yet to try a Bonanza. I can't speak of the lyman, not familiar with them. I use a Rock Chucker and full length size the Magnum cases with ease. At my rifle range shack, I use a RCBS Jr just to seat bullets with when I am doing load development at the range, and a Huntington Press press to seat bullets when I travel to other ranges.

It is a real double barrel bitch to full length size cases with the RCBS Jr, and I mean if feels like you are going to pull the bench off the wall.

I highly suggest that you go on ebay and buy your press, you will have great savings.

Good luck and best wishes on your new adventure!
Old 09-28-2006, 08:51 AM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
A few years back, someone gave me a lee press. I was going to sell it and just for grins, I thought that I would try it out. The acid test for all presses is full length sizing large cases, especially cases that have been fired in an auto down to a min spec chamber. I picked up some 7 Mag brass off the range and tried to resize the brass on the Lee press. I got about 10 cases sized with great effort and then the handle broke on the Lee press...total loss.

[/ QUOTE ]

You apparently haven't seen the new Classic Cast.

I prefer it to a Rockchucker any day.

The cheap Lee presses aren't even in the same league as a classic cast.

I tell you what, I'm so confident in their new press I'd pay you $1000 if you could break the handle out of it on sizing any case you can fit in it. It's a whole different animal than the cheap presses they sell.

Reloader