Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Help me interpret this Berger VLD COL test?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 02:19 PM

Re: Help me interpret this Berger VLD COL test?

I performed another Berger VLD 140 COL test this morning. Unfortunately there were several other shooters at the rifle range and they were bouncing the benches pretty good so I had several called 'flyers'. Because of these bouncing bench flyers I would call this COL test null and void, but I do have a newbie question about target analysis.

These were all 5 shot groups. I have a question about the 2.860" COL target. There are only 3 holes. :confused: Two of the holes appear to be slightly larger than the other holes, but not to the extent that I could clearly 100% say they are 2 bullet holes. So either I shot two really really bad UNCALLED flyers or they are indeed 2 bullets in basically the same hole.

Is there a good method for accurately determining whether they are '2 bullet' holes?

I'm basically out of Berger VLD 140s at this point and I can't find them anywhere in-stock currently so it's probably ok that this test was FUBARed by the bouncing bench.

I have decided to standardize on the Sierra MatchKing 142s for now because they are the only 'candidate' 6.5mm high BC bullets I could find in stock.

Thanks.

Doug

Old 02-25-2013, 11:35 AM
Silver Member

On the analysis of your 2.860 loads, there definitely looks to be multiple shots through the hole you have marked 3-4. It's really hard to tell on the hole marked 1-2, but it kind of looks like the second bullet is hanging out of the main hole at about 3-4 o'clock position. I definitely think all 5 shots are represented in that group, and it appears that is your best seating depth. It is the smallest group of the lot, and shows the least amount of vertical dispersion. Good shooting.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:45 PM
Gold Member

If it were me, I'd run 2.860 and stop load development altogether and utilize the components to shoot as intended. Now that you know how it shoots, get out and shoot it in field conditions, reading wind, angles, etc.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:02 AM

Hello Onewolf ,

Good grouping . Did you chronograph your loads for velocity , extreme spread , and standard deviation ? If so , what were the averages for the 2.850" COL group , and others ?
I have shot a Savage Long Range Hunter , belonging to a friend , in .260 Rem . using 130 gr. Berger VLD's @ 2960 fps. average velocity that was very accurate , 1/2 MOA @ 200 yards , and had no trouble banging a 22" round steel gong at 1202 yards .
I am interested in possibly purchasing a Long Range Precision in .260 Rem . , such as yours .
Also , what brass and primers were you using ?
Final question , how did the 140gr. AMAX bullets group @200 Meters , and their velocity ?

Thank You ,
DMP25-06
Old 02-27-2013, 01:31 PM

Please see your PM folder.........
Old 02-27-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMP25-06 View Post
Hello Onewolf ,

Good grouping . Did you chronograph your loads for velocity , extreme spread , and standard deviation ? If so , what were the averages for the 2.850" COL group , and others ?
I have shot a Savage Long Range Hunter , belonging to a friend , in .260 Rem . using 130 gr. Berger VLD's @ 2960 fps. average velocity that was very accurate , 1/2 MOA @ 200 yards , and had no trouble banging a 22" round steel gong at 1202 yards .
I am interested in possibly purchasing a Long Range Precision in .260 Rem . , such as yours .
Also , what brass and primers were you using ?
Final question , how did the 140gr. AMAX bullets group @200 Meters , and their velocity ?

Thank You ,
DMP25-06
I just started handloading in January and I do not have a chronograph, yet. It is at the very top of my 'list' and I will be buying one within a couple of weeks.

I have been using Lapua Rem 260 brass that originally came with the 20 boxes of Corbon ammo (139 Scenar) I bought from CTD for $34/box. I figured it was a reasonable way to acquire 400 Lapua brass and have some good factory ammo to practice with.

I am using CCI BR-2 primers (until I run out). Hopefully I can locate some more BR-2s.

I had great success with the 140gr A-MAX bullets especially at 800-1000 yards. My best day at 1000 yards was with the A-MAX 140s. But I couldn't find the A-MAX 140s in stock when it came time to choose a 'winner' and the SMK142s won by default because they are the only ones I could find in stock to order. I now have two boxes of 500 SMK142s sitting on the bench at home.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:23 AM

On Saturday I performed H-4350 powder load tests with the SMK 142s and 42.8gr 'won'. 42.4, 42.6, 42.8, and 43.0 were all very good, but 42.8gr node group was the best. I fubared the planned COL test on Saturday (turret 'issues').

On Sunday I performed a COL test with the SMK142s at 300 meters. The 2.840" COL group was definitely the best (0.50 MOA).

So for now my standard load will be: Lapua 260 rem brass, CCI BR-2 primers, 42.8gr Hodgdon H-4350 powder, Sierra MatchKing 142 bullets, @2.840" COL.