Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Help me figure out what Im overlooking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 07:20 PM
Gold Member

Help me figure out what Im overlooking

Ok, been loading for a couple of years. Loaded many rounds for my 7mmRM that I use in competition as well as hunting. Never had this problem before:

I loaded 60 rounds two nights ago for a competition that's coming up next month. All was well.

I start loading tonight and I am having a big variation in my OAL (measured from the ogive with my bullet comparator in calipers.)
I loaded 30 rounds that had a spread of 0.0010" between that lot. I quit loading until I figure out the problem.
They are Bergers, from a 500ct box that I have used probably 2/3 of. Never had an issue.

I thought it may be dirt on the shellholder. Nope.

I thought it may be dirt in the comparator. Nope.

Thought it may be batteries in the calipers. Nope.

I rechecked the lengths of the rounds loaded two night ago and they are dead-nuts on the money (maybe .0001" variation).

What gives? The die has not been touched in two days. Nothing has changed.

Any help that anyone may think of that I haven't yet would be greatly appreciated.

Steve
Old 12-19-2012, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Help me figure out what Im overlooking

I'm pretty picky, but wouldn't call 1thou of total spread in seating 'extreme'.

Were these cases(including the 60 perfect) neck sized at the same time?
If so, that sizing keeps creeping with time, and could change seating forces a bit.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:02 PM
Gold Member

If you're shooting compressed loads and using minimal neck tension... that could do it... bullet pushed back out by powder compression.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:16 AM
Gold Member

I'm reading your post, and what I am seeing is you might have added an extra "0" in your measurements. Maybe you meant .010" spread instead of .001"?

Heck I wouldn't sweat a .001" spread in any of my ammo, but yes a .010" in match ammo might ruin groups for sure.

That said, I have had some cases where the head might not have been exactly square that drove me nuts till I found it. I don't know why it was that they were way as they were new cases, but it sure gave me some weird readings. I used a Wilson trimmer to square them up and it only took a turn or two to do so. After that everything was back to normal. More or less it simply shined up the high spot and nothing more.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 12-20-2012, 08:18 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41mag View Post
I'm reading your post, and what I am seeing is you might have added an extra "0" in your measurements. Maybe you meant .010" spread instead of .001"?

Heck I wouldn't sweat a .001" spread in any of my ammo, but yes a .010" in match ammo might ruin groups for sure.

That said, I have had some cases where the head might not have been exactly square that drove me nuts till I found it. I don't know why it was that they were way as they were new cases, but it sure gave me some weird readings. I used a Wilson trimmer to square them up and it only took a turn or two to do so. After that everything was back to normal. More or less it simply shined up the high spot and nothing more.

Yes, I got zero happy.
The good ammo varied by about one thousandth.
The stuff I did last night varied by ten thousandths.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member

What bullets are you using? You may want to sort through them could be something with the bullets, something loose on your press? Assuming nobody was messing with your die when your weren't looking. with my Redding die I have the micrometer reading written down makes it nice to be able to confirm it's where it should be.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 12-20-2012, 10:45 AM
Gold Member

maybe bullet tips of the longer bullets are touching inside the seater button...

Pull a couple of the bullets which seemed to seat too deep, and measure their length compared to some bullets which seated properly...