close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

Help me determine what is causing my runout!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-17-2009, 03:22 AM
Silver Member

Re: Help me determine what is causing my runout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Peacock View Post
Press alignment is tough to measure and is unlikely to be the cause. A shade tree mechanic method of seeing if the threads on the top are straight with the ram is as follows.
I agree. I certainly have no clue. So I asked the Redding tech guys for some ideas at one point and the following was suggested:

"You can perform a test to see if the runout is caused by an equipment problem. Make a mark on the cases at the base. When inserting them into the shellholder, line the mark up with a certain point on the shellholder or reloading press. Then when checking concentricity, see if the mark on the case always corresponds with the concentricity high and low points."

Not a "high tech" type solution, but a way of possibly learning something about the alignment of the press.

WL

Unread 08-17-2009, 07:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRHWAL View Post
I agree. I certainly have no clue. So I asked the Redding tech guys for some ideas at one point and the following was suggested:

"You can perform a test to see if the runout is caused by an equipment problem. Make a mark on the cases at the base. When inserting them into the shellholder, line the mark up with a certain point on the shellholder or reloading press. Then when checking concentricity, see if the mark on the case always corresponds with the concentricity high and low points."

Not a "high tech" type solution, but a way of possibly learning something about the alignment of the press.

WL
Very good pont about the press---am ordering one today and having it shipped to Speedy where he will in effect Blue Print it. That is just about the last thing on my list of equipment related items to do.
Unread 08-19-2009, 04:37 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
That is just about the last thing on my list of equipment related items to do.
Nothing ever is the last on the ever growing list; but then you knew that!
Unread 08-19-2009, 08:08 AM
Platinum Member

No truer words were ever spoken!!